Old 23-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered User

Default Never seen before Weeds in Lawn

For the last 12-18months i've been getting really odd weeds that has taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it up that i shall need to sort out a new one.
I've never seen it before, and they are only growing in the lawn not flower beds.

It is like roots of a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but they go straight down about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and carrys on to god knows how far.
I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while little shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like things.

I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all down due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes.
Just wanted a rough idea to google search and get an idea what i'm dealing with.

I'd really appreciate any help
Thank you for your time.
Old 24-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromore View Post
For the last 12-18months i've been getting really odd weeds that has taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it up that i shall need to sort out a new one.
I've never seen it before, and they are only growing in the lawn not flower beds.

It is like roots of a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but they go straight down about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and carrys on to god knows how far.
I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while little shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like things.

I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all down due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes.
Just wanted a rough idea to google search and get an idea what i'm dealing with.

I'd really appreciate any help
Thank you for your time.
Get a gallon jug of white vinegar, you can alos use grocery store vinegar. Mix the vinegar with two tablespoons of liquid dish soap. The dish soap helps the vinegar to adhere to the weeds you are trying to kill. Spray the application int he morning in a day when it is going to be hot and sunny. This works quite well.

You can remove manually by wetting your lawn area. Allow your lawn to get wet for a long, so that it would be easy for you to remove manually.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 24-09-2012, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dromore said:

For the last 12-18months i've been getting really odd weeds that has
taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it up that i shall
need to sort out a new one.
I've never seen it before, and they are only growing in the lawn not
flower beds.

It is like roots of a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but
they go straight down about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and
carrys on to god knows how far.
I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while little
shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like
things.

I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all down
due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes.
Just wanted a rough idea to google search and get an idea what i'm
dealing with.

Have you or your neighbor cut down any trees in the past year?
Do any neighbors have plantings of bamboo?

That's the best I can do with wild speculation.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 24-09-2012, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Monday, September 24, 2012 7:41:30 AM UTC-4, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Dromore said: For the last 12-18months i've been getting really odd weeds that has taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it up that i shall need to sort out a new one. I've never seen it before, and they are only growing in the lawn not flower beds. It is like roots of a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but they go straight down about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and carrys on to god knows how far. I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while little shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like things. I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all down due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes. Just wanted a rough idea to google search and get an idea what i'm dealing with. Have you or your neighbor cut down any trees in the past year? Do any neighbors have plantings of bamboo? That's the best I can do with wild speculation. -- Pat in Plymouth MI "Yes, swooping is bad." email valid but not regularly monitored

I think it was you that was good help for me in identifying Japanese switch grass when I posted a picture. Anxious to see if he posts one.
I google that there is a marsh grass called spike grass. Don't know why it would grow in a lawn. If it would keep animals off my lawn, I might like some