Old 24-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered User

Default Sowing grass seed - stones problem

Hi all. I want to sow some grass seed on an area of my garden which has been very bare, covered in*ivy, twigs, stones ect for a long time, its quite shady for about 2/3rds of it too as its under some tall trees and at the back of the garden, its about 12 sq metres in a long rectangular strip, 2m wide x 6m long. I have tried to get rid of the debris and have forked and raked the soil, raking as much as i can and treadind down, there were loads of bulbs too which i have dug up and lots of stones, some big ones as well as lots of small ones. I have also put some general fertilzer granules on it a couple of weeks ago and today was my first opportunity to get to work on sowing the grass since 2 weeks of rain. Anyway I came to start it this morning and where I had raked there were now hundreds of stones which have come to the surface I think because of the rain washing the soil away. I have tried raking some more but I can still see stones under the soil when I rake and I can only think that the same thing will happen even if I did rake it again and try to get rid of the stones, once it rains again. They are mostly small stones 1-2 cm in size, i think there are bigger ones below the surface. So anyway what I want to know is what should I do about the stones? Do I need to put a load of top soil on the top to cover the stones and if so how much? I am half contemplating just turfing it, but would i need to put a load of top soil down under that too? i hope you can help me.
Old 24-03-2013, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

As long as there is a significant amount of dirt showing too, the stones will
probably not be a problem. The grass will grow roots between and around the
stones, and the stones may even encourage deeper root growth. You probably want
to rake the stones back into the soil, then seed it and roll it down to press
the seed/soil into a slightly firmer flat surface. Try to do it when no heavy
rains are predicted to undo the work, and water the seed lightly several times a
day until it sprouts. A timer on the sprinkler helps greatly to keep the soil
just a little wet until the grass has sprouted.

Old 26-03-2013, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ben Emms wrote:
[...]
top soil down under that too? i hope you can help me.- Hide quoted text -

The stones are about 1/2 - 3/4", so they aren't really big.
Other factor is how many there are. If there is plenty of soil
showing in between, ie, it's 80%+ soil, not stone, then I agree with
the above. I'd rake it out a bit. Since the soil
was disturbed, if it's just lightly raked now, next rain you
probably won't get as many showing up again.

But, on the other hand, it's only a 12 sq m area. If screened
topsoil is available for a reasonable price and the increase in
height isn't an issue, might want to price out buying the topsoil.
For a small job like this, could buy it by the bag.

Should also make sure the seed is appropriate for shade.
Old 28-03-2013, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ben Emms wrote:

...about stones...

for a marginal area at the back of a
garden along a wooded area grass is not too
likely to do all that well.

instead of spending money on sod or
topsoil find whatever you can scrounge for
organic materials and add that slowly on
the surface then let native plants take
over the area. they are adapted to the
soil and the light and won't need any care
at all.

if you want to mow it once in a while
that is fine. set the mower on the higher
settings, use a mulching mower and have at
it.

or you can put down a few inches of wood
chips over cardboard and smother whatever is
there and then plant shade loving decorative
plants in holes through the cardboard. water
a few times to get them established and then
they'll gradually take over the space as the
cardboard and wood chips degrade. no mowing
needed for that area then. you won't see the
stones any longer.

and/or find shade tolerant decorative shrubs
that will provide berries and flowers for the
birds and bees.

songbird

Sowing new grass seed, roll or don't roll? MM United Kingdom 1 14-04-2005 06:19 PM
sprouting grass seed before sowing ken cohen United Kingdom 12 06-04-2005 12:28 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 02:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 10:22 AM
sowing some grass seed a United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 10:42 PM