Old 26-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Question Bad lawn

First time on the forum and no idea about gardening.....my front lawn is in a really bad state. The lawn is low down in the garden and i wish to raise the level of it up. If I put 200mm of top soil on top of the existing lawn with an intention to re-turf afterwards would the lawn underneath grow through or would I have to remove the old existing turf beforehand?
Old 26-03-2013, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Bad lawn

"brian stanton" wrote in message

First time on the forum and no idea about gardening.....my front lawn is
in a really bad state. The lawn is low down in the garden and i wish to
raise the level of it up. If I put 200mm of top soil on top of the
existing lawn with an intention to re-turf afterwards would the lawn
underneath grow through or would I have to remove the old existing turf
beforehand?

You could spray it with something like Roundup a week or so before putting
in the new soil to kill the old stuff.

Old 27-03-2013, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"brian stanton" wrote in message
You could spray it with something like Roundup a week or so before
putting
in the new soil to kill the old stuff.

Nice one, that gives me something to go at, thanks Ralph

I mentioned Roundup. For that to kill off the old stuff, it takes a week or
two as far as I understand it, it does not really kill off the stuff, but
prevents it from absorbing something the grass needs to grow, so it will
take a while for it to be effictive. There may be some other chemicals that
you may want to look into.
I don't know what is out that will kill off everything fast.

Old 27-03-2013, 06:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

brian stanton wrote:

....using herbicide...
Nice one, that gives me something to go at, thanks Ralph

better yet, go out and get cardboard for
free and put it down. one or two layers
with a few holes here or there for water
to get through. then put the dirt on top.

songbird

Old 27-03-2013, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I mentioned Roundup. For that to kill off the old stuff, it takes a week or
two as far as I understand it, it does not really kill off the stuff, but
prevents it from absorbing something the grass needs to grow, so it will
take a while for it to be effictive. There may be some other chemicals that
you may want to look into.
I don't know what is out that will kill off everything fast.

it takes sunshine and good growing conditions to
get the weed killer down into the roots. sometimes
takes more than one application.

smothering with cardboard will work better without
using any poisons.

by the time the weeds and grasses underneath are
dead the worms will break down the cardboard and
the lawn on top will be established.

songbird
Old 03-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Horbury

That's good advice Brian, all the best with it!
__________________
Artificial Grass
Old 17-04-2013, 07:40 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian stanton View Post
First time on the forum and no idea about gardening.....my front lawn is in a really bad state. The lawn is low down in the garden and i wish to raise the level of it up. If I put 200mm of top soil on top of the existing lawn with an intention to re-turf afterwards would the lawn underneath grow through or would I have to remove the old existing turf beforehand?
No problem....just care it by giving water regularly....you will find result soon.
Old 18-04-2013, 05:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 27, 1:40*pm, songbird wrote:
brian stanton wrote:

...using herbicide...

Nice one, that gives me something to go at, thanks Ralph

* better yet, go out and get cardboard for
free and put it down. *one or two layers
with a few holes here or there for water
to get through. *then put the dirt on top.

* songbird

He doesn't need to apply Roundup or cardboard. He
said he's putting down 200mm of soil. That's 8" and
existing grass, weeds, etc on the lawn aren't going to grow
through that.