Old 30-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned

Default Has my lawn had its day???

Evening all...

In need of some advice please. This evening I managed to get the first cut on the lawn this year and to say it looks bad is an understatement.

Im contemplating stripping it off and re turfing it, but wanted your opinions first on whether its worth reviving. I have attached a few pics for your review.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Has my lawn had its day???-img_0436.jpg   Has my lawn had its day???-img_0437.jpg   Has my lawn had its day???-img_0438.jpg   Has my lawn had its day???-img_0439.jpg
Old 30-04-2013, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"MrMark" wrote in message ...

Evening all...

In need of some advice please. This evening I managed to get the first
cut on the lawn this year and to say it looks bad is an understatement.

Im contemplating stripping it off and re turfing it, but wanted your
opinions first on whether its worth reviving. I have attached a few pics
for your review.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

|Filename: IMG_0436.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15537|
|Filename: IMG_0437.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15538|
|Filename: IMG_0438.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15539|
|Filename: IMG_0439.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15540|

MrMark

*****

Give it a good raking to get rid of the dead thatch from winter and a light
fertilizing and it will recover. Hasn't your winter been somewhat harsh
this year?

IMO, the lawn will fully recover in a few weeks.

Larry

Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

MrMark wrote:
Evening all...

In need of some advice please. This evening I managed to get the first
cut on the lawn this year and to say it looks bad is an
understatement.

Im contemplating stripping it off and re turfing it, but wanted your
opinions first on whether its worth reviving. I have attached a few
pics for your review.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

How many years ago did you last feed or water it? Notice the ring of fresh grass
around the dead spot from pet waste? That's what the grass would do if you fed
it properly. Most important time is the fall, but other times help too.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
MrMark wrote:
Evening all...

In need of some advice please. This evening I managed to get the first
cut on the lawn this year and to say it looks bad is an
understatement.

Im contemplating stripping it off and re turfing it, but wanted your
opinions first on whether its worth reviving. I have attached a few
pics for your review.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

How many years ago did you last feed or water it? Notice the ring of fresh grass
around the dead spot from pet waste? That's what the grass would do if you fed
it properly. Most important time is the fall, but other times help too.
Thanks all...

Yes that will be the neighbours cats leaving their mess on my lawn over the winter. I usually rake, weed and feed each year. Which then results in a fast growing, green, but patchy lawn. Also the right hand side by the fence is always soggy as its in a shady area.

If I am to revive it, what is the best course of steps to attack it with. How does this sound?

1, Rake/scarify the entire lawn.
2, Apply a weed and feed (Is Evergreen Complete OK?)
3, Rake/scarify again a few weeks later

I will inevitably end up with loads of bald patches from where the moss has been raked out. How do I deal with these?

Cheers all...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

MrMark wrote:

-

[...]

Scrape up the bare batches, then overseed them and rake again to cover the seed
and pat it down lightly. Water frequently lightly to keep the seed from ever
drying out.

I'd probably fertilize it soon while there are still spring rains to get some
growth going. Unless it is really weedy, I wouldn't use weed and feed. Just a
good fertilizer. I use weed-b-gon in a hand sprayer to get the occasional weed
that pops up. Puts lots less poisons into the environment. A quart of the
concentrate lasts me for many years.

Personally, I wouldn't rake it too much. Give the fertilizer and water some time
to get the growth going and see how it does. Next year, use a good fall and
winter fertilizer in October or so, and fertilize again lightly in the earlier
spring if it doesn't seem to be growing and darker green.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 1, 4:48*am, MrMark wrote:
Bob F;982102 Wrote:

MrMark wrote:-
[...]

MrMark- Hide quoted text -

Much of this depends on what we don't know. Like
what the lawn looked like when it was actively growing,
what kind of grass it is, etc.
It looks like it's still just starting to come out of dormancy
over the winter. IF the lawn looked reasonable at the end
of last season, I would not do anything right now. That
small amount of dead grass will disappear in a couple of
weeks as it starts growing. And I wouldn't go nuts with
the scarification. That's a good thing if you have a thatch
problem. Even then, I would do it only once, because it
does damage and kill some of the existing grass.

I'd fertilize it. If there is a substantial amount of weeds,
then a weed-n-feed type product is OK. If there are just
scattered weeds, then treating with an appropriate herbicide
using a tank sprayer uses less chemicals and is more
effective because it puts it right where it's needed.

Check the PH and adjust if necessary. See what it looks
like by late summer and if you want to renovate it, do it
in Sept.