Old 23-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post

Do we even know what the plan is at this point? He
first said he was planning on establishing a new lawn at
the end of summer. So, why is he even killing stuff now
and talking about possibly tilling weeds in? Fall is the
best time to establish a lawn and if he's not going to do
that until then, why is he killing stuff now? I'd just mow
until late Aug, then start the process with killing the
existing vegetation.
Well, that's why I'm asking advice; because I don't know the best way to go about it. I thought that I'd kill my "lawn of weeds" now, turn it over, let it settle, kill any more that might appear in the meantime. this should take me up to the end of the summer when I'll lay turf. Lots of prep to ensure a good lawn. I hope.
Old 23-05-2013, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

On May 23, 11:00*am, TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;983566']

Do we even know what the plan is at this point? *He
first said he was planning on establishing a new lawn at
the end of summer. *So, why is he even killing stuff now
and talking about possibly tilling weeds in? *Fall is the
best time to establish a lawn and if he's not going to do
that until then, why is he killing stuff now? * I'd just mow
until late Aug, then start the process with killing the
existing vegetation.

Well, that's why I'm asking advice; because I don't know the best way to
go about it.

By "what the plan is" I meant it wasn't clear to me what
you are actually trying to achieve.

--
TeaBag

That's a bad strategy. What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.
If the soil is OK, except for the weeds, you don't have to till
it at all if you're going to use seed. And regardless of whether
you're going to use seed or sod, there is no point in doing
anything until late Aug. I would just keep it mowed for the
summer. That has to be better that looking at a bare, tilled
up earth and dealing with all the weeds that are going to be
growing......

Old 28-05-2013, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message ...

I would just keep it mowed for the
summer.

So, in other words, you would just keep it mowed for the summer?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post

That's a bad strategy. What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.
No, they didn't. The reason is to let the soil settle. At the moment we have just stones, soil and weeds. So turning it over, levelling it and letting more weeds grow would actually be an improvement. I know more weeds will grow, my reason for killing these is because the whole area is thick with weeds that have had years to establish before we built our house. It just means removing less weeds later (ones that aren't as well established and deeply rooted) before laying turf. It's just saving a bit of time later so the majority of the hard work is done (levelling). I understand that some might advise kiling all the weeds at once.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:
;983851']

That's a bad strategy. What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.

No, they didn't. The reason is to let the soil settle. At the moment
we have just stones, soil and weeds. So turning it over, levelling it
and letting more weeds grow would actually be an improvement. I know
more weeds will grow, my reason for killing these is because the
whole area is thick with weeds that have had years to establish
before we built our house. It just means removing less weeds later
(ones that aren't as well established and deeply rooted) before
laying turf. It's just saving a bit of time later so the majority of
the hard work is done (levelling). I understand that some might
advise kiling all the weeds at once.

I did have good results once ridding an area of weeds by rototilling them under,
then rototilling again a few more times during the summer to turn under any
weeds that sprouted, before they went to seed. If you have a tiller, you could
try this.

Billy would tell you that tilling destroys the "soil structure", so take that
into consideration.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 5, 3:10*am, TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;983851']

That's a bad strategy. *What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? *I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.

No, they didn't. The reason is to let the soil settle. At the moment we
have just stones, soil and weeds. So turning it over, levelling it and
letting more weeds grow would actually be an improvement. I know more
weeds will grow, my reason for killing these is because the whole area
is thick with weeds that have had years to establish before we built our
house. It just means removing less weeds later (ones that aren't as well
established and deeply rooted) before laying turf.

Removing weeds multiple times over months prior to putting down
turf is just more work. But whatever floats your boat.

It's just saving a
bit of time later

Spending 10 hours over months to make 2 hours less work later doesn't
compute for me.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered User

Bob F: Thanks for your continued comments; always constructive and helpful.

Trader 4: I don't like the tone in your replies. Maybe that could be addressed.

Thanks to all who have contributed. My time here is done.