Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered User

Default New turf going thin

Morning all this is my fist post so be gentle with me. I searched the forum but not managed to find an answer to my query.

I laid some new turn at the front of my house around 5 weeks ago. The turf was abolutely perfect I prepped the ground perfectly.

The week after laying the turf was a sunny week, I was watering it in the morning and at night and the roots were going down well after the first week.

Following that week it rained heavy all week and the grass grew rapidly. I then gave the lawn a cut on the highest setting of the mower however it still took a good chunk off as it had grown a lot without me being able to cut it.

I have gradually started lowering the cut over the last 2 weeks however the turf seems to be going thin and I think slightly yellow in places.

My last cut was last night and I raised the cut from the last time I mowed. I also gave it a good water as its been sunny. I have attached a few images but I'm afraid they aren't great.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read that a light fertiliser may help?
Attached Thumbnails
New turf going thin-image.jpg
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Another image
Attached Thumbnails
New turf going thin-photo.jpg
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 5, 4:26*am, jonnystuartuk
wrote:
[...]

|Filename: image.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15578|

jonnystuartuk

It doesn't look too bad from the pic. Five weeks in, I would be
reducing the watering, so that it has a chance for the upper part
to dry out. Grass being constantly wet is not a good thing, as it
promotes many diseases. If it's hot while wet, that's the worst
combination. I'd reduce to watering every other day. And you
should water it so that the watering ends around sunrise. That
way it will be wet for the shortest period. You want to water it
deeply a couple times a week, once established, depending on
the weather.

You might want to check the mower blade too. The ends of the
grass are shreaded. Mowing it higher as you've been doing is
better too, at least until it gets more established.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it looks that bad either.
I was surprised a few weeks ago to see a TV bit on how they grew sod
commercially to find that they cut it three times a week. I suppose if
you followed that practice at your home after you bought it, it might
look good as new. Personally, I'll be damned if I want to be a slave to
my lawn
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jonnystuartuk wrote:
[...]

It seems a little early to need fertilizer. If you do, definately make it a
light application.

You should be tapering off on the watering. Ideally, you want to end up watering
heavily about once a week so the water gets deep. Watering too ofter encourages
shallow root growth, which increases water need for the grass.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered User

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think my plan of action is to keep watering it for a few more weeks every other day or so and see how I get on.

The blade is brand new so should be nice and sharp (apart from when I caught it the other day on an edging stone! May have to sharpen it.)

If I look down from the bedroom I can see it going thin in places
Old 06-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I don't think it looks that bad either.
I was surprised a few weeks ago to see a TV bit on how they grew sod
commercially to find that they cut it three times a week. I suppose if
you followed that practice at your home after you bought it, it might
look good as new.
I have actually been cutting it every 3/4 days so it doesn't get too long and end up scalping it. Saves me going backwards and forwards emptying the box all the time.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jonnystuartuk wrote:
My last cut was last night and I raised the cut from the last time I
mowed. I also gave it a good water as its been sunny. I have attached a
few images but I'm afraid they aren't great.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read that a light fertiliser
may help?

what kind of soil and how deep is it underneath
the turf?

are you using a mulching mower or removing the
clippings?

songbird
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 6, 4:14*am, jonnystuartuk
wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys,

I think my plan of action is to keep watering it for a few more weeks
every other day or so and see how I get on.

The blade is brand new so should be nice and sharp (apart from when I
caught it the other day on an edging stone! May have to sharpen it.)

If I look down from the bedroom I can see it going thin in places

jonnystuartuk

Did you try to pull back a piece in a couple of spots? Try one where
the grass is doing well, other where it's not. See if there is root
development, examine closely for any insects, etc. If you've been
over-watering it and keeping it saturated, constantly wet, I would
definitely cut it back. I would not water it more than once a day
except for maybe the first few days. Then by 2 weeks in, I'd be
back to every other day. After about two months, I'd reduce
again to every 3rd day.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
wrote:
[...]

I did stop watering it for a little while as it was constantly raining. I'm definitely going back to every other day now. It could possibly by drying out a little

Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
jonnystuartuk wrote:
My last cut was last night and I raised the cut from the last time I
mowed. I also gave it a good water as its been sunny. I have attached a
few images but I'm afraid they aren't great.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read that a light fertiliser
may help?

what kind of soil and how deep is it underneath
the turf?

are you using a mulching mower or removing the
clippings?

songbird
The soil is very sandy, its pretty deep, I rotivated it before levelling and laying
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jonnystuartuk wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:
I did stop watering it for a little while as it was constantly
raining. I'm definitely going back to every other day now. It could
possibly by drying out a little

Grass needs to dry out a little. Watering every day or two is too much. IT will
never grow anything but surface roots with water that often, and will likely get
fungal disease.

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
[IBC] going no mail...going HOME! alicia-dr-hankins Bonsai 0 24-05-2004 03:05 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM