Old 25-06-2013, 09:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default Reparing a sloping lawn

Hi folks,

I've got this side yard (photo link below) on a slope where water has been washing top soil away for a year or so. There is only dried thatch now. I made some terrace-like rows using a shovel, hoping this would collect enough water to get some new grass seed going.

So far the openings are catching the water. Think it has a chance of working?

LR&T

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5533/prrh.jpg

Old 25-06-2013, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Lawn Ranger" wrote in message m...
Hi folks,

I've got this side yard (photo link below) on a slope where water has been washing top soil away for a year or so. There is only dried thatch now. I made some terrace-like rows using a shovel, hoping this would collect enough water to get some new grass seed going.

So far the openings are catching the water. Think it has a chance of working?

LR&T

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5533/prrh.jpg

===

I forgot to say.... this area still has a little Bermuda grass. I did not want to damage the roots any more than necessary, so I just pushed the shovel down about 4 inch and then levered it back just enough to leave a 1/2-inch or so V-shaped trench for the water to have a place to soak.

Old 26-06-2013, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Lawn Ranger wrote:
[...]

I'd just plant fresh seed, and water it until there was a good layer of grass to
hold the soil in place. Then keep it fertilized and watered so it doesn't fail
again. Or, plant a more locally durable ground cover.

Reparing a sloping lawn Lawn Ranger Gardening 12 09-07-2013 09:09 AM
building raised beds on sloping lawn? JimS. Roses 14 03-02-2011 05:38 PM
Sloping lawn andy from embsa Gardening 0 30-03-2007 11:29 PM
building raised beds on sloping lawn? JimS. Roses 0 24-02-2004 04:47 AM
pond on a sloping garden Tony Ponds 1 16-05-2003 02:44 AM