Old 28-02-2014, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default New food nutrition labels, your govt at work...

The FDA estimates the cost of the new food labeling
requirements will be $2bil. Another unbelievable example
of what big govt costs us all. The changes? Increase
the font size of the calories. List the added sugar. And
make the serving sizes larger. The overall effect?
Meaningless, as few are paying any attention to them at all.
Anyone who does, the info you need is already there. Americans
will still be fat, it's just another $2bil down a rat hole.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Frank" wrote in message ...
On 2/28/2014 3:03 PM, wrote:
The FDA estimates the cost of the new food labeling
requirements will be $2bil. Another unbelievable example
of what big govt costs us all. The changes? Increase
the font size of the calories. List the added sugar. And
make the serving sizes larger. The overall effect?
Meaningless, as few are paying any attention to them at all.
Anyone who does, the info you need is already there. Americans
will still be fat, it's just another $2bil down a rat hole.

I felt the same way when the law came down for restaurant chains to post calories. But now I'm glad they added this new info. Besides seeing the calorie count up front, it also gives a better idea of how much you food you actually get for similer sounding items. Like -- $5 and 500 calories for a "large" sandwich vs. $3 and 450 for "medium" sandwich.

I do some consulting on government regulations regarding chemicals.
I am familiar with an incident where a one word change on a label cost
one company $75,000 in labeling and paperwork changes.

How much of that $75K was your fee?

Country is being buried in needless regulations and attendant paperwork.

Now at tax time I'm reminded that more manpower goes into tax filing
than the entire US automobile industry.

Old 25-03-2014, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 3/24/2014 8:14 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message ...
On 2/28/2014 3:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Probably less than $200. All I needed to do was change one word in a
couple of places in a few MSDS's. Editing was simple and most time spent
in putting in co. and public dB's. Most of the cost was in reprinting
literature and new labels including those on rail cars and trucks. It
was somebody in the clients company that gave me the dollar value for
the whole company.

This was only one company making maybe 25% of US production and then
there are distributors that would have to eat the cost of labeling their
products. So maybe the one word change cost industry less than one
million dollars.

The one word change had zero effect on improving the product's safety.

Old 27-03-2014, 11:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Monday, March 24, 2014 7:14:57 PM UTC-4, Guv Bob wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2014 3:03 PM, wrote:

The FDA estimates the cost of the new food labeling

requirements will be $2bil. Another unbelievable example

of what big govt costs us all. The changes? Increase

the font size of the calories. List the added sugar. And

make the serving sizes larger. The overall effect?

Meaningless, as few are paying any attention to them at all.

Anyone who does, the info you need is already there. Americans

will still be fat, it's just another $2bil down a rat hole.

I felt the same way when the law came down for restaurant chains to post calories. But now I'm glad they added this new info. Besides seeing the calorie count up front, it also gives a better idea of how much you food you actually get for similer sounding items. Like -- $5 and 500 calories for a "large" sandwich vs. $3 and 450 for "medium" sandwich.

IDK of anyone who judges how much food they are getting for their
dollar based on calories. On that basis, you'd eat Crisco or vegetable
oil. And even if you do want to buy based on calories, it's already
right there on the food label.

I do some consulting on government regulations regarding chemicals.

I am familiar with an incident where a one word change on a label cost

one company $75,000 in labeling and paperwork changes.

How much of that $75K was your fee?

It doesn't matter who gets what portion of the cost. It's still
a cost that gets passed on to consumers, many of them are already struggling
in a weak economy. We have record people on food stamps, median family
income down in the past 5 years, but the govt doesn't care and chooses
now to force more unneeded and useless crap on manufacturers that consumers
pay for.

An it's obvious it's not doing anything. We had less obese adults,
less obese children when there were no nutrition labels on food at all.
In fact, the obesity epidemic really escalated precisely when the govt
got involved, scaring people away from fat and telling them to buy
products that were low fat. Those low fat products were loaded with
sugar and carbs, which in turn escalated the obesity problem.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
FYI: Govt push to trade rare orchids Reka Orchids 4 27-06-2004 07:16 PM
GOVT'S POLICY ON GM TOLERANCE CHASES RAINBOWS David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 20-09-2003 02:32 PM
RESEARCH CONFIRMS CONSUMERS ARE USING FOOD LABELS TO MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 02:59 AM
Govt regs Phal importation from Taiwan K Barrett Orchids 1 15-05-2003 04:44 PM