Old 13-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered User

Default Harrier 56 Throttle

Hi all, im wondering if i can pick some of your brains a touch.

I acquired a Hayter Harrier 56 today from a friend as my mower gave up the ghost. The Harrier has been sat around for over 5 years maybe more so i stripped the carb down cleaned out the fuel bowl and unstuck the float jet. Spark plug cleaned and flushed out the tank.

Anyways, it starts lovely but with one issue, i have 2 throttle speeds. Flat out trying to destroy itself or off (oh and choke as well which is a bit of a better running speed).

all the top controls on the carb are free and work with the cables apart from one which has a link bar to the back of the engine which is quite slack on the spring and never returns close but if i put some return springyness on it with a rubber band i still only have 2 speeds.

am i looking at a stuck jet/needle inside the carb?
Old 13-04-2014, 05:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:07:14 AM UTC-4, Humectant wrote:
Hi all, im wondering if i can pick some of your brains a touch.

I acquired a Hayter Harrier 56 today from a friend as my mower gave up

the ghost. The Harrier has been sat around for over 5 years maybe more

so i stripped the carb down cleaned out the fuel bowl and unstuck the

float jet.

IDK what a "float jet" is. Did you take it fully apart, ie take both
idle and main needle valves out, remove any welch plugs for access,
soak it in carb cleaner, then blow it all out? To do a proper cleaning
typically requires a rebuild kit, that gives you new welch plug, needle
valves, bowl gasket, etc.

Spark plug cleaned and flushed out the tank.

Anyways, it starts lovely but with one issue, i have 2 throttle speeds.

Flat out trying to destroy itself or off (oh and choke as well which is

a bit of a better running speed).

all the top controls on the carb are free and work with the cables apart

from one which has a link bar to the back of the engine which is quite

slack on the spring and never returns close but if i put some return

springyness on it with a rubber band i still only have 2 speeds.

The link going to the engine is for the governor. Can you control
the speed of the carb by hand? By controls, do you mean two, ie a
choke and the butterfly valve that is in the throat? Choke should
be fully open after starting, and then the butterfly is what controls
the speed. Try doing it by hand and seeing how it responds. Left
untouched, it's position is determined by the throttle lever setting
and the governor linkage. If you can control the speed through a
range by hand, maybe the governor or governor linkage are screwed up.

am i looking at a stuck jet/needle inside the carb?

In the carbs I've worked with, there isn't any jet/needle that
can get stuck. The speed is controlled by the butterly in the
carb throat.

Old 13-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered User

I went back and had another look and found half the problem.

the top butterfly control arm had been bent down so would never close the throttle so i've straightened this and i now don't have it trying to destroy itself with revs.

the one thing i think i'm missing is a spring to return the butterfly to closed, i've used some rubber bands for the time being but they are a bit too strong for the opposing spring. can anyone confirm/show me a picture of their assembly???

picture below shows the rubber band assembly currently used

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...413_172715.jpg
Old 13-04-2014, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Humectant wrote:
Hi all, im wondering if i can pick some of your brains a touch.

I acquired a Hayter Harrier 56 today from a friend as my mower gave up
the ghost. The Harrier has been sat around for over 5 years maybe more
so i stripped the carb down cleaned out the fuel bowl and unstuck the
float jet. Spark plug cleaned and flushed out the tank.

Anyways, it starts lovely but with one issue, i have 2 throttle
speeds. Flat out trying to destroy itself or off (oh and choke as
well which is a bit of a better running speed).

all the top controls on the carb are free and work with the cables
apart from one which has a link bar to the back of the engine which
is quite slack on the spring and never returns close but if i put
some return springyness on it with a rubber band i still only have 2
speeds.

am i looking at a stuck jet/needle inside the carb?

Either the throttle butterfly or the govenor system is frozen up somewhere would
be my guess. When not running, the throttle butterfly should be easy to rotate.
If it binds, you need to get it moving.