Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default where are the honey bees?

My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Hi,
Fertilize or Pollinate????
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 May 2014 18:28:38 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Hi,
Fertilize or Pollinate????

Whichever would not be humiliating. Perhaps that is pollinate.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

I wonder if an unusually cold winter may have something to do with it? I
think a lot of the bugs aren't around here in Alabamastan after the very
cold winter weather we had. ^_^

TDD
Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
joe joe is offline

On 5/4/2014 6:04 PM, micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Don't worry, Monsanto is working on some genetically modified bees that can withstand being drenched in glyphosate.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 May 2014 20:04:45 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

I wonder if an unusually cold winter may have something to do with it? I
think a lot of the bugs aren't around here in Alabamastan after the very
cold winter weather we had. ^_^

There aren't any more stink bugs, afaict, and two bushes in front of my
house which have been dying slowly, finally died completely, and the ivy
that was all around the bed all seemed to die, the first time that any
ivy died.

For next year, if necessary, I know you can buy lady bugs, but I've
never heard of buying honey bees, unless it's a whole hive. I don't
want to be bothered with a whole hive. Plus I suppose it would be
expensive these days. It's still a small tree. If the flowers were
still there, I'd be happy to pollinate them myself. It would have take
no more than 2 hours, I think.

TDD

Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

I'll be taking posession of my hive later this month . I'm getting a going
hive with a brood super and one honey super for $350 - that's hive , bees
and all . I could have done it mail order package bees and built my own
supers/frames/etc for less money , but ... This will be an established
"family" , vs the mail order route which is basically a new queen and a
bunch of strangers . Additionally , these bees are local , and acclimated to
this area . And once I have a hive going well I can split it for just the
cost of hive bodies/etc . I think this first hive will be going over in the
orchard . I just wish it were here already , the blueberries are blooming
and the blackberries are budding , expected to bloom in 3-6 days .
--
Snag

Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

And I gather there aren't enough air-crittrers to pollinate the black
and blue berries? I'll bet you could do it yourself with some sort of
brush.

350 isn't such a bad price, but I'm not in the mood for more projects.

Won't I need gloves and overalls and hat with a mask? Won't I have to
read bee podcasts? Or beecasts, as I call them. Well, you didnt' say
I'd have to do anything, only what you were doing. Fair enough.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall something about beekeepers renting out their bees to
farmers. Like renting a bull out to stud, the beekeepers bring their
hives to the farmer's fields to pollinate his crops. ^_^

TDD

Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 5/4/2014 7:04 PM, micky wrote:
My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing
that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had
loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

I wonder if an unusually cold winter may have something to do with it? I
think a lot of the bugs aren't around here in Alabamastan after the very
cold winter weather we had. ^_^

TDD

Hi,
Honey bees are taking a toll due to some kinda virus going around.
Last I heard they figured out the remedy + lousy weather lately.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
stuff snipped here and there

My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Jeez Micky, could you put any more "straight lines" in a single post? (-

"Mommy, what's that man doing to the tree?" EEEWWWW!

"Is that how you make cherries and cream?"

Etc.

Here's how you can do it without bees.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pollina...ees-58916.html

--
Bobby G.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 May 2014 02:00:45 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
stuff snipped here and there

My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs
fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other
things about half as big and all black.

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next
year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Jeez Micky, could you put any more "straight lines" in a single post? (-

"Mommy, what's that man doing to the tree?" EEEWWWW!

"Is that how you make cherries and cream?"

Etc.

I don't think about such things, but if I had, I'd have counted on the
adults here not to spend time on such things.

Here's how you can do it without bees.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pollina...ees-58916.html

Thanks a lot. Q-tips or small artist brush. I could do that.

OTOH, if I could really do it in two hours, maybe the 4 bees could do it
3 days. After all, they didnt' have to think about whether they were
doing it right, and maybe they worked 12 hours a day. The branches
flowered close to the trunk at first, and later near the end of each
branch.

If all the flowers lead to cherries, I'll have to find those bees and
give them a medal. I'm afraid though that if I pin medals on their
chests, I'll kill them. Maybe a ribbon around their neck.

BTW, the url you gave refers to tart cherries as self-fruitful, but
they've created varieties now that are sweet and only require one tree
for pollination.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I seem to recall something about beekeepers renting out their bees to
farmers. Like renting a bull out to stud, the beekeepers bring their
hives to the farmer's fields to pollinate his crops. ^_^

It's more extensive than you think. Some bees have a lot of miles on them,
spending the summer in Iowa and the winter in California. I've seen flatbeds
loaded with hives with a big net over the whole mess headed down the road. I
don't even want to think about loading/unloading. Fortunately, I've only
ever hauled bee wood, the new frames amd so forth.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

micky wrote:

where are the honey bees?

They're not around anymore - because of this:

http://www.dillonchem.com/images/PRO...m/CDRA2987.JPG

And to make their products more "acceptible" to the public going
forward, look for the word "bees" to be removed from these labels, but
the words "wasp" and "hornet" will stay. But old pharts will still buy
the product to kill anything that makes a nest or hive, regardless how
harmless, manageable or beneficial they are.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2014 8:40 AM, rbowman wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I seem to recall something about beekeepers renting out their bees
to farmers. Like renting a bull out to stud, the beekeepers bring
their hives to the farmer's fields to pollinate his crops. ^_^

It's more extensive than you think. Some bees have a lot of miles on
them, spending the summer in Iowa and the winter in California. I've
seen flatbeds loaded with hives with a big net over the whole mess
headed down the road. I don't even want to think about
new frames amd so forth.

Most folks have no idea how complicated farming is. Many of them think a
farmer is a fellow in overalls watching plants grow while chewing on a
grass stem and chugging on a jug of moonshine. ^_^

TDD