Old 14-07-2014, 03:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with water
according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer.

I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray "wetting" the
leaves and stems of the stuff I'm spraying. Looks more like most of it
beads up on the leaves and runs off.

I'm thinking that this stuff would be more effective if it "stuck" to
the leaves, and I think that's only going to happen if the surface
tension is reduced, possibly by pre-spraying the weeds with soapy water,
or alternatively maybe adding soap in with the weed killer and water.

Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of water-soluble
weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing agent is used?

And just for clarity, Ortho Weed B Gon contains:

2,4-D (Dimethylamine salt)
Quinclorac
Dicamba (dimethlamine salt)
Old 14-07-2014, 04:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

HomeGuy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
In this city chemical week killer wass banned few years ago.
We use DW liquid+salt+vinegar to kill weeds and use arm
strong power to physically remove weeds in our small city lot.

Old 14-07-2014, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
HomeGuy wrote:
[...]

Bu . . bu . . but:

DW liquid+salt+vinegar is a chemical weed killer

Old 14-07-2014, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Pico Rico wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
HomeGuy wrote:
[...]

You're right but it won't make our dog or neighborhood small
children sick or who knows even die.
Old 14-07-2014, 05:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

HomeGuy" "Home wrote:
[...]

You could try adding a bit of liquid soap to the spray as you mix it and see if
it works better.

Old 14-07-2014, 07:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 07/13/2014 9:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of water-soluble
weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing agent is used?

Indeed they do...

http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/control/adjuvants-for-enhancing-herbicide-performance

Old 14-07-2014, 10:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 07/13/2014 09:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:
[...]

No way would I ever toxify my yard, I found that after a good rain it's
pretty easy to pull out the weeds roots and all.

A number of years ago garlic mustard took over and after a good rain,
those things came out with little effort and now that I've cleared the
yard , no more than three or four return each year.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 04:15:18 -0500, philo* wrote:

No way would I ever toxify my yard, I found that after a good rain it's
pretty easy to pull out the weeds roots and all.

A number of years ago garlic mustard took over and after a good rain,
those things came out with little effort and now that I've cleared the
yard , no more than three or four return each year.

How big is your yard? How well do your neighbors keep theirs so seeds
don't fly to your yard? Sometimes you need more than just pulling the
weeds, though there are better methods than just chemicals.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"HomeGuy" "Home"@Guy.com wrote in message

I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with water
according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer.

I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray "wetting" the
leaves and stems of the stuff I'm spraying. Looks more like most of it
beads up on the leaves and runs off.

I'm thinking that this stuff would be more effective if it "stuck" to
the leaves, and I think that's only going to happen if the surface
tension is reduced, possibly by pre-spraying the weeds with soapy water,
or alternatively maybe adding soap in with the weed killer and water.

Don't pre-spray, just add a small amount of surfacant to the weed killer.
I can't tell you how much bu tI add about a cap full or two of liquid dish
detergent to my 35 gallon spray tank with either 2,4-D or Rodeo/Roundup.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Old 14-07-2014, 11:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"philo " wrote in message

[...]

Good luck doing that along a half mile of fence.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Old 14-07-2014, 12:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/13/2014 11:11 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
In this city chemical week killer wass banned few years ago.
We use DW liquid+salt+vinegar to kill weeds and use arm
strong power to physically remove weeds in our small city lot.

Bu . . bu . . but:

DW liquid+salt+vinegar is a chemical weed killer

For sure, it's acidic and saline, not to mention
destroys surface tension. What a chemical mix.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 14-07-2014, 12:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/13/2014 11:20 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Pico Rico wrote:
Bu . . bu . . but:

DW liquid+salt+vinegar is a chemical weed killer

Hi,
You're right but it won't make our dog or neighborhood small
children sick or who knows even die.

I wouldn't be sure.... depends how long the exposure.
Sodium causes heart problems, and vinegar can upset
the pH balance.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 14-07-2014, 12:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/14/2014 12:46 AM, Bob F wrote:
HomeGuy" "Home wrote:
Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of
water-soluble weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing
agent is used?

You could try adding a bit of liquid soap to the spray as you mix it and see if
it works better.

Have to try plain Roundup on one side of the yard,
then add some soap and do the other side of the yard.
Do an A versus B test. I'd like to hear how the test
works out. I do use Roundup on my weeds.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 14-07-2014, 12:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/14/2014 6:33 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"philo " wrote in message

No way would I ever toxify my yard, I found that after a good rain it's
pretty easy to pull out the weeds roots and all.

Good luck doing that along a half mile of fence.

My landlord is concerned about trim weeds,
mow the lawn. A couple year ago, I sprayed
Roundup all around my trailer, right near
the skirting. Left a dead zone. Which is OK
with me, at least it's not weeds and doesn't
cost me money when the landlord decides to
send his guy out to trim my weeds. Far as I
know, no children or animals were killed.
Except the little boy who... no, probably not
the cause.....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 14-07-2014, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 7/13/2014 10:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:
[...]

I would assume the mix is formulated for maximum effectiveness and works
best when directions are followed.

I had a neighbor that had one of these jobs at DuPont and that is all he
did.