Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Lawn Aerator

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 11:19:24 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Now that we have all the comments and theories about aeration......

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel filled with water with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head pulled by hand? Less than 1000 sq ft and too hard for foot-stomper aerator.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

wrote:

Now that we have all the comments and theories about aeration......

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel filled with water with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head pulled by hand? Less than 1000 sq ft and too hard for foot-stomper aerator.

That tiny area, what a wuss. I have a Mantis tiller, greatest
gardening tool out there... get the aerating attachment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zl9duO1o0
I use mine to till my 50' X 50' vegetable garden, in fact I used it
yesterday to aerate around my vegetable plants... don't let its size
fool you. it's got plenty of power yet any 80 pound wuss can handle
it. The Mantis won't till never tilled land, too many roots n' rocks,
but once it's tilled the Mantis can handle all your gardening chores.
I had a 7 HP monster tiller but once I got the Mantis I never used it
so I sold that behemouth... I love that Mantis because my wife can use
it for her flower beds and I don't need to deal with them. Anyone
needs to till raw land rent a monster tiller, then buy a Mantis. I
even had a giant tiller I could attach to my tractor's 3 point hitch
and would till a 5' swarth, sold that to the same guy who bought my 7
HP Simplicity tiller... he had dreams of growing several acres of
pumpkins. For aerating under 1000 sq ft and I was a cheap *******
like you I'd poke holes with this, wouldn't take me more than 2 hours:
http://www.amazon.com/Tine-Pitchfork...7359596&sr=1-7

Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Retired" wrote in message ...
On 8/6/14, 3:19 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Now that we have all the comments and theories about aeration......

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel filled with water with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head pulled by hand? Less than 1000 sq ft and too hard for foot-stomper aerator.

Well what do you know ? There is such a thing..........in Australia !

see page 30 of http://www.hicksturf.com.au/pdf/productcatalogue.pdf

Thanks, Retired. That's the idea, only the kind I'm looking for has cylinders that remove plugs like these.... Cylinders are tapered so that the bottom is slightly smaller diameter than the top, making it easier for plugs to move up and out...

http://www.deerwood.bc.ca/wp-content...woodedited.jpg

http://www.kitchenfoodgarden.com/wp-...re-aerator.jpg

Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Don't need a tiller or a pitchfork. LOL! It would be a waste for me to buy a Mantis just to aerate a lawn every year or so. Are you sure that video shows an aerator attachment? Good try but stupid idea.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:56:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

snipped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zl9duO1o0

[...]

Are you sure that video shows an aerator attachment? Good try but stupid idea.

It is aerating, just a different approach. The Mantis is cutting slits
in the ground (3 inches deep ?), instead of pulling core plugs out. It
achieves basically the same thing. Breaks up the compacted soil,
allows oxygen and micro nutrients, and water to penetrate deeper.

I'd not use the Mantis on large lot, but would for a small area to
break up compacted clay. For a large lot, I'd use a real coring
machine. Both will remove some thatch.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 08:55:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:56:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

snipped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zl9duO1o0

[...]

Are you sure that video shows an aerator attachment? Good try but stupid idea.

It is aerating, just a different approach. The Mantis is cutting slits
in the ground (3 inches deep ?), instead of pulling core plugs out. It
achieves basically the same thing. Breaks up the compacted soil,
allows oxygen and micro nutrients, and water to penetrate deeper.

I'd not use the Mantis on large lot, but would for a small area to
break up compacted clay. For a large lot, I'd use a real coring
machine. Both will remove some thatch.

Slitting is not good for this situation. It would do does a lot more damage to the roots and generally makes a muddy mess. Slits close up quickly. Holes from plugs give water somewhere to drain and filter. Same for fertilizer & grass seed. Slitting is always a stupid idea.

So what is your plan of attack, Bob. If you do buy a barrel roller,
will you ever use it again?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:56:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

snipped

[...]

It works well for "renovating" a lawn - slit seeding if done properly
DOES work - it is like using a seed drill
Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Guv Bob wrote:
Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head? The one I'm looking for is pulled by hand. I have too much area to cover for the foot-stomper type, but don't need to get a motorized version.

Tool and equipment rental shops sometimes have them. Most people don't
want to buy something so big and so rarely used.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:42:13 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:56:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

snipped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zl9duO1o0

[...]

Are you sure that video shows an aerator attachment? Good try but stupid idea.

It is aerating, just a different approach. The Mantis is cutting slits
in the ground (3 inches deep ?), instead of pulling core plugs out. It
achieves basically the same thing. Breaks up the compacted soil,
allows oxygen and micro nutrients, and water to penetrate deeper.

I'd not use the Mantis on large lot, but would for a small area to
break up compacted clay. For a large lot, I'd use a real coring
machine. Both will remove some thatch.

The Mantis aerating tines do a great job of thatching, for weeding
simply reverse the tilling tines, works well. And depends what you
mean by a "large" lot... the Mantis can handle any size lot one would
normally push mow... I'd say it could handle a 1/4 acre, for anything
much more than a 1/4 acre I'd prefer a riding mower.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Not-Home" wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head? The one I'm looking for is pulled by hand. I have too much area to cover for the foot-stomper type, but don't need to get a motorized version.

Tool and equipment rental shops sometimes have them. Most people don't
want to buy something so big and so rarely used.

Very true, and you certainly wouldn't use it to aerate only 1,000 sq
ft.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:56:01 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

snipped

[...]

If you know so much WTF are you asking for advice?!?!? Duh
Old 16-08-2014, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:50:37 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message news Now that we have all the comments and theories about aeration......

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel filled with water with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head pulled by hand? Less than 1000 sq ft and too hard for foot-stomper aerator.

Magically someone was passing out flyers to do aeration in the neighborhood this week. This is the just the 2nd time I've seen someone come by in 20 years.
Prices listed vary from $80-160 front and back, depending on any extra services.

Let us know what you finally decide. How old is this thread now?

Old 16-08-2014, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message news Now that we have all the comments and theories about aeration......

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel filled with water with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head pulled by hand? Less than 1000 sq ft and too hard for foot-stomper aerator.

Magically someone was passing out flyers to do aeration in the neighborhood this week. This is the just the 2nd time I've seen someone come by in 20 years.
Prices listed vary from $80-160 front and back, depending on any extra services.

Up here in Waterloo Ontario there are usually guys around 3 or 4
times in the spring, and often twice in the fall wanting to Aerate the
lawn.

Towed lawn aerator / spiker johno Lawns 3 07-10-2008 12:33 AM
lawn aerator question Tom Fletcher Lawns 1 16-05-2008 02:07 PM
Lawn Aerator Jo North Carolina 5 15-03-2006 01:16 AM
lawn aerator; norman Lawns 0 08-03-2006 04:17 AM
Lawn Aerator AgriFab any good? Chris Lawns 3 08-06-2003 02:44 AM