Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Battery for Moisture Detector

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:08:16 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

I'm guessing that if it leaks it is more toxic for plants than zinc-carbon
or lithium batteries.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 6:50 PM, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

I wonder if the writer of the instruction was
having a bad day. Might been meant to write
to use only alkaline battery?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:00:13 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Voltage/current curve not compatible?
Buy "heavy duty" zinc chloride batteries - they are a lot cheaper
anyway.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 18:50:51 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 05-04-2016, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 10:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM,
wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

You're the one who has recently posted that
zinc chloride cells last longer than alkalines.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Donald T. Rump wrote:
On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says
not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning
before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended? Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

And carbon/zinc don't??

Old 06-04-2016, 02:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 23:33:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 10:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM,
wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

You're the one who has recently posted that
zinc chloride cells last longer than alkalines.

On this thread battery life was never mentioned. You just want to
prove how big a prick you are.
Stormin Moron.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2016 02:08 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

The only thing I can think of is that an alkaline battery has a much
lower internal resistance and that might cause a problem for the
electronics.

Just a guess.