help with lawn

Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Exclamation help with lawn

Hi everyone.. Have recently just bought my first house and garden needs a a fair bit of tlc.. So started with the lawn as it was covered in weeds...

Since treating with weed killer I have loads of brown patches... What do I need to do about this? Thanks..
Old 26-05-2016, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default help with lawn

--
McFarlaneST

Google for lawn renovation. Exactly what you need to do depends on the
extent of the brown patches and whether the existing grass is desirable
and worth saving. If it's crap grass, has undesirable weed type grasses
mixed in, etc, it's better to kill it all off and re-seed with a good
quality grass.
Old 24-06-2016, 01:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"McFarlaneST" wrote in message ...

Hi everyone.. Have recently just bought my first house and garden needs
a a fair bit of tlc.. So started with the lawn as it was covered in
weeds...

Since treating with weed killer I have loads of brown patches... What do
I need to do about this? Thanks..

Did you get any help with this? Similar situation here.

Old 24-06-2016, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"McFarlaneST" wrote in message ...

Hi everyone.. Have recently just bought my first house and garden needs
a a fair bit of tlc.. So started with the lawn as it was covered in
weeds...

Since treating with weed killer I have loads of brown patches... What do
I need to do about this? Thanks..

Did you get any help with this? Similar situation here.

that's why i never recommend weed killers for
lawns. just mow it regularly and let nature sort
it out. mulching mower, set blades up high.

once you've done damage to the lawn you can
reseed, but early summer is about the worst time
to do that. better to have done it in the early
to mid-fall before it is cooler and easier to get
grass started. that also makes the weed pressure
less.

now, perhaps seeding it and adding a thin layer
of mulch to help keep the moisture in, but i still
think it's too hard to keep it properly moist and
you're mostly wasting water, time, money, etc.

if the area is large and you don't really care
what it looks like for the summer you could try
to plant a cover crop (radish, buckwheat, turnips,
etc) and then in the early fall mow it down and
plant your grass seeds into that stubble. but
most people can't let their lawns go tall without
the neighbors or home owners associations from
going nuts. it really is better to have something
growing there rather than nothing for the summer
because dry hard ground is very uninviting for new
grass growth...

so much depends upon climate and rains, types
of grasses, light, soil conditions, availability
of compost or mulches...

songbird
Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"songbird" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've got a few bare spots that were covered by pine needles for a couple of years. I racked them up and roughed up the soil. Will sow some seed into the soil, keep wet and see what happens. Will probably have another 1-2 weeks of moderate temp before the heat kicks in.