Best solution for dog pee burn on lawn - water, lime, gypsum -what is best?

Old 15-06-2016, 07:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Best solution for dog pee burn on lawn - water, lime, gypsum -what is best?

On 6/15/2016 5:53 AM, Jac99 wrote:
I have a male dog, who pees like a girl dog i.e he squats and so
delivers a high dose of nitrogen to my lawn making it die. I'm
currently training him to only pee on a patch to the side of the shed,
leaving my main lawn burn free. This is working, but it now means the
2m x 2m patch by the shed is now all nearly brown & dead.

So what can I do to help the 'designated pee area' survive a bit
better....I know you should water the patch after they pee, but my
question is what is best just water on its own or water with some
lime/gypsum in it? or gypsum pellets spread around on the patch - does
that work?

P.S - I'm not expecting to revive the dead grass. I'm getting some new
turf laid soon so I'm looking for a preventative solution to start a new
regime from day 1 of the new turf.

What I read on googling is that lot of water works best. Lawn is burned
by nitrogen compounds in the urine. I see a lot of products advertised
on line for treating it. I suspect songbird's suggestion may be best if
the dog has to go there.