Old 27-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Brian Burke

Default Has anyone planted zoysiagrass by seeding?

Hello.

I'm starting a lawn and have decided to plant zoysiagrass. I'm trying to
decide on whether to use plugs or seed it. Sodding is out of the question.
Does anyone have experience with either seeding or plugging? I know that
zoysia was only able to be plugged until recently. They've now developed a
variety that can be seeded as well.

Thanks for any help.

Brian Burke

Old 27-07-2003, 06:22 PM

"Brian Burke" wrote:
Hello.

I'm starting a lawn and have decided to plant zoysiagrass. I'm trying to
decide on whether to use plugs or seed it. Sodding is out of the
question. Does anyone have experience with either seeding or plugging? I
know that zoysia was only able to be plugged until recently. They've now
developed a variety that can be seeded as well.

Thanks for any help.

Brian Burke

The last I heard the seed is really hard to find..

--
GO# 40
Old 27-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Joel Downey

Brian,

I have planted zoysia by plugging. My experience has been, and continues to
be very positive. I had an old gravel drive that I re-routed, and the
zoysia was the only thing I could get to grow over the old drive without
doing major digging of the old gravel. That was about 15 years ago. I now
take plugs of zoysia and put it anywhere I'm having trouble growing grass.
I got the plugger when I bought the original plugs, and it has come in handy
over the years. I did not realize that zoysia seed is available. Zosia is
very hardy, and I need to keep it away from my asphalt driveway, as it will
work its way up through the edges and break it apart. I usually edge around
the driveway in the spring and then plant it where I need it. Other than
greening up a little later than most other grasses in the spring, it is
great. When I spray for weeds, I almost don't need to spray the zoysia. It
is so thick weeds have trouble germinating in it.

Good luck with it.

Joel