How long to wait until first cut of a new lawn?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Ian Spanswick

Default How long to wait until first cut of a new lawn?

Hiya,

Had a new lawn laid and have been watering daily and it's looking pretty
good. My question is, how long should I leave it until the first cut?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Ian

Old 01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ian Spanswick

Described by the landscaper as 'high quality turf', I seem to remember he
also called it Stadium Turf...... Don't really know much more than that....

Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Anna Maize

Ian Spanswick wrote:
Described by the landscaper as 'high quality turf', I seem to remember he
also called it Stadium Turf...... Don't really know much more than that....

Bwwwaaaahahahahahahaha! You got took!

Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 PM
[email protected]

Bwwwaaaahahahahahahaha! You got took!

My lawn is stadium turf. If the stadium is in Hell.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
[email protected]

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:27:37 GMT, wrote:

Bwwwaaaahahahahahahaha! You got took!

My lawn is stadium turf. If the stadium is in Hell.

I though statium turf was 'astro-turf'?

Fake stuff doesn't need mowing. First clue should be that id doesn't
get any higher. :-P

later,

tom

****************
http://www.Intertainia.com ***********************************
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Ian Spanswick

"Perplexed" wrote in message

"Ian Spanswick" wrote in message
Hiya,

Had a new lawn laid and have been watering daily and it's looking pretty
good. My question is, how long should I leave it until the first cut?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Ian

What kind of grass?

Stadium grass is made up of the following:
25% Perennial Rye Grass
20% Smooth Stalk Meadow Grass
10% Chewings Fescue
20% Slender Creeping Red Fescue
25% Strong Creeping Red Fescue

It's growing well at the moment and roots are bedding in nicely, just don't
want to set it back by cutting it too early.....

Old 02-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Steveo

"Ian Spanswick" wrote:
"Perplexed" wrote in message

"Ian Spanswick" wrote in message
Hiya,

Had a new lawn laid and have been watering daily and it's looking
pretty good. My question is, how long should I leave it until the
first cut?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Ian

What kind of grass?

Stadium grass is made up of the following:
25% Perennial Rye Grass
20% Smooth Stalk Meadow Grass
10% Chewings Fescue
20% Slender Creeping Red Fescue
25% Strong Creeping Red Fescue

It's growing well at the moment and roots are bedding in nicely, just
don't want to set it back by cutting it too early.....

Cut it like you would an established lawn, don't let it get excessively
tall or you -will- set it back. If it looks like it needs it, cut it.

--
John Kerry honored by commies -
http://tinyurl.com/3cncy
Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Chet Hayes

"Perplexed" wrote in message

"Ian Spanswick" wrote in message
Hiya,

Had a new lawn laid and have been watering daily and it's looking pretty
good. My question is, how long should I leave it until the first cut?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Ian

What kind of grass?

Stadium grass is made up of the following:
25% Perennial Rye Grass
20% Smooth Stalk Meadow Grass
10% Chewings Fescue
20% Slender Creeping Red Fescue
25% Strong Creeping Red Fescue

It's growing well at the moment and roots are bedding in nicely, just don't
want to set it back by cutting it too early.....

Cutting grass actually makes it grow faster. A hormone which slows
growth is generated in the tips of grass blades. By removing it, the
grass grows faster and also tends to spread out more.

New grass should be cut about the same time as you would any other
similar variety grass. In your case, I'd cut it when it was about 3
1/4 inchs high and take off 1/2 inch.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:15 PM
[email protected]

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:55:23 +0100, "Ian Spanswick"
wrote:

"Perplexed" wrote in message

"Ian Spanswick" wrote in message
Hiya,

Had a new lawn laid and have been watering daily and it's looking pretty
good. My question is, how long should I leave it until the first cut?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Ian

What kind of grass?

Stadium grass is made up of the following:
25% Perennial Rye Grass
20% Smooth Stalk Meadow Grass
10% Chewings Fescue
20% Slender Creeping Red Fescue
25% Strong Creeping Red Fescue

It's growing well at the moment and roots are bedding in nicely, just don't
want to set it back by cutting it too early.....

Then cut it high. wait till 4" and then chop it down to 3"

hth,

Old 03-06-2004, 05:09 AM
Die Spammer !!!

so you had sod put in ?