Old 02-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Eric

Default Lawn is dying, why?

Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Thanks,
Eric
Old 02-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Patch

"Eric" wrote in message
Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little

worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Thanks,

Call a landscape company.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Anonymous

Eric wrote:
Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Thanks,
Eric

I think your lawn is fescue. Have you had a relatively dry summer? In
general you need to overseed a fescue lawn every year (or perhaps every
other year in your part of the country). Where I live in the Southeast
we typically lose about 20% of our fescue every year due to heat stress
and our normally dry mid summers (though this year we have had a fairly
wet summer). One would think that fescue would be much happier in your
part of the country with your milder summer weather, though I would
think that occasional overseeding would still be required, especially if
it has been drier or hotter than normal. If this is the case, you'll
want to wait until September for overseeding. Visit a garden supply
store and check the back of the seed bags for overseed rates (lbs/1000
sqft). If you can afford to do an aeration (you can rent a power
aerator at Home Depot, or you can pay a lawn service to do it for you)
this would be a good time to do it as well. If you aerate, overseed,
and apply a winter fertilizer (make sure it does not have a pre-emergent
) you will give your seed the best chance of making a good lawn.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Jim Sullivan

"Eric" wrote in message
Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little
worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Judging by the pictures, you're using the wrong tense. Your lawn isn't
dying, it's dead. Anything you do now, without understanding why this lawn
is dead, is, IMHO a waste of time.

My first reaction to this was insects/bugs, since there are significant dead
patches. It would also fit the getting worse each year. There are a
variety of tests for insects, most common is to get a coffee can, cut both
ends off, stick it in the lawn, fill it with water and see what floats to
the surface.

My second reaction is what have you been doing for the past 4 years to let
is get to this state? Where it may have been easy to fix a few years ago,
it's pretty serious now and could mean a complete re-sod/re-seed. Nows the
time to find a reliable and knowledge landscape person and get their
professional opinion.

--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington

Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
pat

Jim:
I noticed the pine tree in pics do you remove the dead needles/thatch
from yard affect soil ph etc also how much sun does it get daily,
looks like you water. Also ask guy across street what he is doing
different from you as his looks fairly good fert mow height. Would
think if bug problem he would have also or treats to prevent. The
question is what is different on other side road.

Good luck

Pat R

\

Old 09-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Chet Hayes

Anonymous wrote in message news:DFEFc.3195$JR4.2227@attbi_s54...
Eric wrote:
[...]

If you have a lawn that needs to be overseeded every year, or even
every other year, I'd get a new one. I have a tall fescue lawn here
in NJ and have never had to overseed it. But then it's a cool season
grass, so why are you trying to grow it in the southeast?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Anonymous

My area of the Southeast is a transistion zone. It gets hot enough to
stress cool season turf grasses in the summer but it also get cold
enough in the winter to damage (an sometimes completely kill)
sub-tropical grasses like bermuda.

I realize that NJ is much better suited to Fescue than my area, but I am
surprized that you never have to overseed. Since Fescue only spreads by
seeding (unlike bermuda which puts out runners) it would seem that any
damage you get due to insects, fungus, foot traffic, etc. would remain
bare unless you let your lawn grow tall enough to let it put up seed
shoots and produce seed. I've never let my yard go long enough between
mowings to ever see a seed shoot. No seed = no replacement grass.

Honestly, overseeding is no big deal. You get 50 lbs of seed for your
average suburban yard, load up your broadcast spreader and put it out.
Certainly no worse than putting out a round of fertilizer.