Old 04-09-2004, 03:24 AM
sams

Default lawn grass identification

How do I identify the grass that growing in my lawn? I am planning to
do some overseeding this fall where the grass are subject to stress
due to children foot traffic, especially between houses. How do I
know what grass seed to buy? I am in the Basic North region in US
(Zone 6). The Scotts website suggest that I have Bluegrass, Ryegrass,
Fine Fescue, Tall Fescue or Bentgrass. Iam way far (35miles+) from sea
or costal area.

Appreciate any help to identify the grass. Previous owner moved out of
state and no where to be reached. Iam planning of buying Scotts® Pure
Premium® High Traffic Brand Grass Seed Mixture (containing Perennial
Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass)

Sam
Old 05-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Dan Hartung

sams wrote:
How do I identify the grass that growing in my lawn? I am planning to
do some overseeding this fall where the grass are subject to stress
due to children foot traffic, especially between houses. How do I
know what grass seed to buy?

http://www.yardcare.com/view.cgi/categoryid2/

What you need to buy has only a little to do with what is growing there
now. A healthy lawn is a mixture of species and varieties, because it is
better able to withstand stress (if one type is sensitive to drought, or
attractive to a certain grub, the other types may be more robust).

I am in the Basic North region in US
(Zone 6). The Scotts website suggest that I have Bluegrass, Ryegrass,
Fine Fescue, Tall Fescue or Bentgrass. Iam way far (35miles+) from sea
or costal area.

Appreciate any help to identify the grass. Previous owner moved out of
state and no where to be reached. Iam planning of buying Scotts® Pure
Premium® High Traffic Brand Grass Seed Mixture (containing Perennial
Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass)

That's probably a decent default choice for anyone. If you have areas
where there is a lot of traffic, you may want to get an "overtime" mix
or one labeled for athletic field use. These grasses are generally more
coarse but will stand up better overall. You should also aerate the
areas where the soil is tamped down.