Sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

Old 27-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Fisherman

Default Sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

I've been pulling weeds from a lawn and now the lawn is 30% soil and 70%
grass

I plan to seed it. Maybe broadcasting over soil and grass or maybe trying to
hit only the soil spots.

My question is: Should I sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

If I fertilize and immediately add the grass seed will the fertilizer hurt
the seed?

Thanks

Old 27-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Steveo

" Fisherman" wrote:
I've been pulling weeds from a lawn and now the lawn is 30% soil and 70%
grass

I plan to seed it. Maybe broadcasting over soil and grass or maybe trying
to hit only the soil spots.

My question is: Should I sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

If I fertilize and immediately add the grass seed will the fertilizer
hurt the seed?

Thanks

Nope, you can sow one right after the other. It's worth using the
right food for seeding though. 12-12-12, or 10-18-10 or many other
starter fertilizer blends work better than a high nitrogen summer
lawn food.

How big is the turf area in sq ft? (I'll tell you how much food and seed)

--
Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu
Old 27-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Fisherman

You're sure? I was advised by the seed store not to.
Appreciate your response but want to be sure you are sure.

40'x40'

Thanks

Old 27-08-2004, 05:00 PM
GFRfan

Fisherman wrote:
You're sure? I was advised by the seed store not to.
Appreciate your response but want to be sure you are sure.

40'x40'

Thanks

They were probably referring to weed and feed. Starter fert is what you
want, or even winterizer. Just be sure there's no herbicide or pre
emerge in it.
Old 27-08-2004, 07:23 PM
[email protected]

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:47:03 -0400, " Fisherman"
wrote:

I've been pulling weeds from a lawn and now the lawn is 30% soil and 70%
grass

I plan to seed it. Maybe broadcasting over soil and grass or maybe trying to
hit only the soil spots.

My question is: Should I sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

If I fertilize and immediately add the grass seed will the fertilizer hurt
the seed?

Thanks

IMHO I wouldn't seed and feed at the same time.

Here's why. The existing grass will burst into growth, cutting off
sunlight to the lower grass, and choking it.

I would seed, water, wait, then when it's started growing well, even
tiny is fine, then blast it with feed. Now that it's out of the seed
it can compete with growing with the already established grass.

hth,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***************
Our Newest Site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com (Medical Staffing)
Old 27-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Steveo

I do it with approximately 6000 lbs of seed each year, so yes
I'm sure. As was mentioned, use starter fertilizer without
herbicide.

Old 28-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Fisherman

Thanks for all the replies!

Just one confusion: Is starter fert simply one without killer and not high
in nitrogen?

Thanks again

Old 28-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Steveo

" Fisherman" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Just one confusion: Is starter fert simply one without killer and not
high in nitrogen?

Thanks again

Lowered nitrogen, increased potash and phosphorus.

--
Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

Old 01-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Chet Hayes

" Fisherman" wrote in message ...
Thanks
"Steveo" wrote in message
" Fisherman" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Just one confusion: Is starter fert simply one without killer and not
high in nitrogen?

Thanks again

Lowered nitrogen, increased potash and phosphorus.

--
Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

And while you're at it, I'd rent a slice seeder to do the seeding
right, so you get decent germination.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:13 PM
colt

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:54:03 -0400, " Fisherman"
wrote:

You're sure? I was advised by the seed store not to.
Appreciate your response but want to be sure you are sure.

40'x40'

Thanks

What seed store?? Even the pimpled faced kid @ Walmart knows
you put out a starter &Grass seed at the same time. That's why it's
called starter fertilizer...
Old 02-09-2004, 04:13 AM
Steveo

(Chet Hayes) wrote:
" Fisherman" wrote in message
Thanks
"Steveo" wrote in message
" Fisherman" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Just one confusion: Is starter fert simply one without killer and
not high in nitrogen?

Thanks again

Lowered nitrogen, increased potash and phosphorus.

--
Kerry toons
http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

And while you're at it, I'd rent a slice seeder to do the seeding
right, so you get decent germination.

Good idea, now put down your pole and work on the lawn, Fisherman!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:29 AM
[email protected]

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:00:12 -0400, CW wrote:

There is some logic in holding off fertilization for a week or two
after sowing. The existing grass can indeed experience explosive
growth because of the starter fert. My lawn is doing exactly that
right now!

This is particularly true if you are sowing with kentucky blue grass
or tall fescue where the seed may take 2-3 weeks to germinate.
Meanwhile your existing grass is having a field day.

CW

Becareful taking my side, this is a tough crowd. :-P

later,

tom

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:13:22 -0400, colt
wrote:

IMHO I wouldn't seed and feed at the same time.

Here's why. The existing grass will burst into growth, cutting off
sunlight to the lower grass, and choking it.

I would seed, water, wait, then when it's started growing well, even
tiny is fine, then blast it with feed. Now that it's out of the seed
it can compete with growing with the already established grass.

hth,

tom

That's not true LOL if you cut the grass close before you sow......
It's not like it's gonna just burst into a growth.

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***************
Our Newest Site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com (Medical Staffing)

http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
Discover low-cost sell my car ads to the web!

Fertilizer numbers Newbie Bill Ponds 3 27-07-2012 10:11 AM
Easiest way to prepare soil for grass seed? Dave K. Gardening 14 31-07-2004 05:27 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 4/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:56 PM
crab grass and milky spore thoranw Gardening 2 28-03-2003 11:20 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 4/7 Henriette Kress Edible Gardening 0 28-02-2003 06:29 PM