Old 24-04-2005, 06:53 PM
John Scarpulla

Default Misting problem in sprinkler system

I have an in-ground automatic sprinkler system in the house I just
bought. The system is divided into zones. One of the zones has some
equipment nearby (generator, A/C compressor, etc). The problem is that
this equipment is rusting badly because of all of the spray mist that
is being propagated from the sprinkler system. I noticed that the
sprinkler heads for this zone are the fixed type, not the pop-up type.
They generate very fine water droplets, and most of the water just is
in the form of mist that gets carried by the wind. Not a very
efficient way to water what is essentially ground cover in the area of
that zone.

The existing heads consist of a Toro 570 body with a Toro MPR screw on
head. I went to Orchard Supply and looked at Rainbird and Irritrol
heads, but they look very similar, and I doubt if much improvement
would be created with these.

I would like the sprinklers to emit a reasonably heavy stream pattern
of water with droplets that will fall within a few feet of the heads.
Instead I have a misting situation where the water just gets airborne
and goes everywhere. Is there a type of head that I should get?

Thanks

John