Old 16-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Eric

Default earthworms

What do you think? Will adding earthworms to my lawn make the soil better?
I've been toying with the idea in my head for awhile now, I'm just not sure.
Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks
Eric
Old 16-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Steveo

Eric wrote:
What do you think? Will adding earthworms to my lawn make the soil
better? I've been toying with the idea in my head for awhile now, I'm
just not sure. Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks
Eric

It might as long as your soil has enough organic matter to support them.
Old 16-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Eric

Steveo wrote:

Eric wrote:
What do you think? Will adding earthworms to my lawn make the soil
better? I've been toying with the idea in my head for awhile now, I'm
just not sure. Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks
Eric

It might as long as your soil has enough organic matter to support them.

Well, its not a desert if that's what you mean, its on my lawn with the
usual stuff you find at soil level (dead grass, leaf bits etc). The lawn is
about average but the soil is quite hard and the layer of top soil is thin,
sitting on hard pan or something close to that - I'm looking to increase
the depth of the top soil over time, making it more porous and easier for
lawn to grow. Seems like year or two of earthworms might improve it - I
just dont know
Eric

Old 16-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Stubby

Steveo wrote:
Eric wrote:

What do you think? Will adding earthworms to my lawn make the soil
better? I've been toying with the idea in my head for awhile now, I'm
just not sure. Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks
Eric

It might as long as your soil has enough organic matter to support them.

And if you do have enough organic matter, the worms will already be
there. Get your soil analyzed first.
Old 18-07-2005, 04:43 PM
evolutionman 2004

Earthworms require several inches of organic sandy loam which will hold
moisture. If you don't already have these conditions, then dig an area in
part of your lawn (yard), make the necessary soil preparations and add the
worms. Earthworms also do well in soil that has coffee grounds sprinkled
over it. Their castings help to fertilize the soil around the grass roots.
Try these websites for help.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...worm/worm.html

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/kids/soil...2/goodworm.htm

Where have all the earthworms gone???? J. Morrow Australia 9 28-04-2003 03:08 AM
Earthworms=Drainage? Gardening 0 18-04-2003 05:20 AM
Earthworms=Drainage? Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 11-04-2003 10:32 PM
Earthworms in Zoysia Lawn David W. Bennett Gardening 1 09-04-2003 08:20 PM
Earthworms Britannica United Kingdom 9 02-04-2003 12:08 AM