Pinecones In Bottom Of Pot

Old 23-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Carmen

Default Pinecones In Bottom Of Pot

Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that might
harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Thanks in advance.

Old 23-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Doug Kanter

"Carmen" wrote in message
Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that
might harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want to put them in the put to begin with?

Old 23-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Stubby

Carmen wrote:

Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that might
harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Pine cones will dissolve over time. Try styrofoam "peanuts" instead.
Old 23-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Helen

"Carmen" wrote in message =
| Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,=20
| underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that =
might=20
| harm the plant?
|=20
| Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?
|=20
| Thanks in advance.=20
|=20
|=20
Pine 'needles' are often used for mulch. Around gardenias, they help =
retain moisture.
Pine cones? Shouldn't harm...may cause water retention initially, until =
they rot and
die...which would probably be quiet a while. I have a gardenia under a =
pine tree
and it's doing really well. Gardenia's like acid. So I'm not sure what =
(other than
partial shade) the pine tree does, but it does seem a most apros place =
for the gardenia.
Old 23-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Carmen

You asked why would I want to put them in the pot to begin with?
Answer: The pot is large & the so is the plant. It will have to be moved
inside during the winter months. Filled with dirt, it would be too heavy for
me to lift & transport. Therefore, if I replace the lower portion of dirt
with a light weight material, I would be able to lift it to bring it inside.

Old 24-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Doug Kanter

Seems to me that if you fill enough of the pot with pine cones, you may as
well just use a smaller pot. Doesn't have to be smaller in all dimensions -
get the same width, but a shorter pot. My other thought is that as the pine
cones decompose, the soil's going to collapse. So...smaller pot?

Retro fit bottom drain Wilmdale Ponds 3 28-05-2005 10:47 PM
Bottom Drains - Nice Article From a Website [email protected] Ponds 23 11-05-2005 08:05 AM
Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze Ponds 7 11-04-2005 08:04 AM
Bottom Drains, A Design Question BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-02-2003 03:46 PM