GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help!! What's burrowing in my yard? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/152537-help-whats-burrowing-my-yard.html)

[email protected] 24-01-2007 02:47 PM

Help!! What's burrowing in my yard?

Hello. If there's any turf critter experts out there, I would
appreciate your ideas on this! Beginning the past fall, I started
seeing little mounds of dirt in my yard. They're small,
probably only a couple of inches wide and some reach a couple of inches
tall. The best
way I know to describe them is that they look kinda like the little
mounds that a crawfish
makes when they burrow down in the mud beside streams, etc.(they're not
mole tunnels, I know what they look like). I wasn't too worried until
they now number in the hundreds all over my back yard! I dig down a
little but see nothing. I'm getting really concerned now because I have
a beautiful centipede lawn and don't want to see all my hard work
destroyed! Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I need to
do to fix this problem? Thanks very much! All have a good day!

John Hensley 24-01-2007 08:27 PM

Help!! What's burrowing in my yard?

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had a similar problem in past years (always in the fall) and had assumed
the holes were caused by small burrowing animals. Then late one night I saw
a family of raccoons digging up my front lawn in search of grubs. I first
tried trapping and relocating the animal but after a few days I would again
find new holes in the lawn. Now I treat the lawn annually to eliminate the
grubs and I no longer see the holes during the fall months.

Putting out a Have-A-Heart trap baited with sardines could tell you if your
holes are caused by a similar critters.

Good luck,
....John