Old 20-04-2007, 07:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Bamboo Poles

I built a pergola on my back deck. I want to "roof" it with bamboo
poles. I'm looking for a local source of bamboo poles.

Any suggestions?

--
John

Old 20-04-2007, 07:55 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 20, 1:20 pm, Teech wrote:
I built a pergola on my back deck. I want to "roof" it with bamboo
poles. I'm looking for a local source of bamboo poles.

Any suggestions?

--
John

Rattan or lampac matting would work too. Still looking for a source.

Thanks.

John

Old 21-04-2007, 01:44 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Bamboo is not really all that durable, in my experience. I guess if you
slathered on the polyurethane, it might be OK, but otherwise you could
expect it to start splitting in a year or so, and then the rot would set
in soon after.

Old 23-04-2007, 01:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Teech wrote:
I built a pergola on my back deck. I want to "roof" it with bamboo
poles. I'm looking for a local source of bamboo poles.

Any suggestions?

--
John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info. I've started thinking more about shade cloth at
this point.

Old 24-04-2007, 03:15 AM posted to triangle.gardens
MAC MAC is offline

Teech wrote:

I built a pergola on my back deck. I want to "roof" it with bamboo
poles. I'm looking for a local source of bamboo poles.

Any suggestions?

--
John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info. I've started thinking more about shade cloth at
this point.

Speaking of shade cloth, where in the heck do you find that stuff around
here? We just put in a bunch of mesclun, and with temps flirting with
summertime levels, I think I'm gonna need some.

BTW, I've had a bamboo-and-deer-netting cover over my garden for about
three years now, and it's still going strong. I didn't just poke the
bamboo into the ground, I bought some metal spikes and stuck them in,
then slid the bamboo onto them. Works great.

MAC

Old 27-04-2007, 07:51 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Teech wrote:

I built a pergola on my back deck. I want to "roof" it with bamboo
poles. I'm looking for a local source of bamboo poles.

Any suggestions?

--
John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info. I've started thinking more about shade cloth at
this point.

Speaking of shade cloth, where in the heck do you find that stuff around
here? We just put in a bunch of mesclun, and with temps flirting with
summertime levels, I think I'm gonna need some.

BTW, I've had a bamboo-and-deer-netting cover over my garden for about
three years now, and it's still going strong. I didn't just poke the
bamboo into the ground, I bought some metal spikes and stuck them in,
then slid the bamboo onto them. Works great.

MAC- Hide quoted text -

I did a Google search on "shade cloth" and you have lots of options.
Locally? I don't know.

--
John

Old 28-04-2007, 07:28 AM posted to triangle.gardens
MAC MAC is offline

Teech wrote:

Teech wrote:

[...]

Just found the motherload at the Wal-Mart in Wake Forest. They're out in
the garden area and come in various sizes, shapes and colors, including
green, gray and black. Didn't see a price, unfortunately.
MAC
Old 28-04-2007, 03:47 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 28, 1:28 am, MAC wrote:
Teech wrote:

Teech wrote:

[...]

WF is a bit far for me. I'll look at WalMarts closer and see.
However, i'm needing a single piece that is 12 x 18. Not sure if
they'll carry something that large.

Thanks,
John

Old 30-04-2007, 05:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 28 Apr 2007 06:47:25 -0700 in .com Teech wrote:
On Apr 28, 1:28 am, MAC wrote:
Teech wrote:

Teech wrote:

[...]

There's always farm tek, and charly's greenhouse supplies
for mailorder.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

OT bird feeding poles Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 10 12-09-2012 11:30 AM
Runner Bean Support (Glass Fibre Poles)! EddySon United Kingdom 16 13-06-2004 01:07 PM
Large bamboo poles H United Kingdom 5 30-07-2003 01:42 PM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 06:33 PM