Old 20-06-2007, 06:46 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Tomato disease

Hello,
I haven't posted in a while. I hope all are well.
I have something I have never seen before on one of my many tomato
plants. It started on a leaf about 1/4 distance from the top of the
plant and hit three leaf groups before I cut them off (put them into a
paper bag, and into the trash can).
Symptoms: the leaf started turning a purply black color.
Eventually the leaf was dry and crumbled.
I usually get wilt, eventually, but that always starts at the
bottom of the plant and turns the leaves yellow before they shrivel
and fall off.
I have one tomato variety that was a volunteer years ago. I keep
seeds and replant every year. That type seems to not get any diseases
and produces a slightly larger than normal cherry tomato, so I am
thankful for that. (I think it is the type they sell on the stem in
grocery stores, but sans chemicals, it is only like a large cherry
tomato, but, as opposed to the store ones, it tastes good.)
As always, I got my tomato pots mixed up when I planted, so I am
not sure which type got this strange black malady on it.
Anyone know what that is, or if it is going to eventually hit ALL
my plants, or how to treat it?
My garden is 15 x 30 and is the only place that gets sun, so moving
about is not an option.
Thanks.
Kira
Old 22-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-06-20, Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
Hello,
[...]

I don't know either. Did you introduce anything new to your garden that
could have brought this in? If you did not then maybe it is a fluke
that will not happen again. But it maybe something introduced by a
bird or by the wind. The drastic thing to do would be to pull up the
entire plant and remove it from the garden. It is no guarantee it would
work.

I would not do that action. If it does not happen to another plant or
stops on that plant you may be ok. Watchful waiting may be the only
thing you can do and hope it is a fluke .

is a garbage address.
Old 29-06-2007, 05:07 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-06-20, Kira Dirlik !! wrote:

Symptoms: the leaf started turning a purply black color.
Eventually the leaf was dry and crumbled.
I usually get wilt, eventually, but that always starts at the
Kira

I don't know either. Did you introduce anything new to your garden that
could have brought this in?
I would not do that action. If it does not happen to another plant or
stops on that plant you may be ok. Watchful waiting may be the only
thing you can do and hope it is a fluke .

Thanks, Wes. So far it has not spread, but I have a pepper plant that
is showing signs of something that basically wiped out my peppers last
year. Peppers were always my greatest achievement. Apparently
it is something in the soil.
I occasionally buy plants from nurseries, and maybe that is how some
nasty stuff has been introduced.
Oh well... deer, moles, and now the squirrels have declared WAR upon
me and all my plants (retaliation for having water bombed them on my
bird feeder).
Kira

I noticed a plant last night with one branch turning brown. This may be
something caused by our weather pattern of sporatic rain.

is a garbage address.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:47 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-06-20, Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm new here and I love growing tomatoes and it sounds like we
grow the same ones. My plants got that once and I saw a few bugs that
looked suspicious...actually I really don't know what caused it but
mine look fine this year.