Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default small trees to identify

Would appreciate if some of the tree/shrub experts here would help
with identifying these small trees that have come up in a wooded area
in the back of our yard. We have seen these further back in the
woods, they don't seem to get real large, but they are trees.
These are currently about 6 feet tall, grey-brown smooth bark with a
sort of leathery green leaves.
I am going to take some of them out, but depending on what they are I
may keep one or two, or transplant them. They are deciduous.
Three photos here. Thanks

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ent=Tree-1.jpg

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ent=Tree-2.jpg

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...e-leaves-1.jpg

Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

In article . com,
ncstockguy wrote:
Would appreciate if some of the tree/shrub experts here would help
with identifying these small trees that have come up in a wooded area
in the back of our yard.

It looks like Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata), also called
Silverberry. It is an invasive species and very difficult to get rid
of. You cut it back and it will just send up more shoots. The seeds get
spread by birds. It will grow up in to a thick, inpenetrable thicket.

Here are some more photos for comparison:

http://www.invasive.org/search/actio...1&results =39

(although the berries I've seen are more of a dark purple / black, not
the reddish shown in a couple of these photos).

--
Steve

Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 AM posted to triangle.gardens

I agree, some type of eleagnus.
Eleagnus is sold at every nursery in the area and widely planted as a
screening material.
The small fruits are supposedly a good source of antioxidants, and the
flowers smell wonderful in the fall.
I've only seen reddish fruits (in January) on the nursery types. There
are several types, and I don't know if all are invasive or not.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...=view&current=...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Thanks, it look a lot like Autumn Olive. I'll research it some more
then do what needs doing....

On Jul 2, 5:43 pm, Steve wrote:
In article . com,

http://www.invasive.org/search/actio...0umbellata&Sta...

Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens

My 7 acre lot was completely covered with eleagnus. Mine is
deciduous, has reddish and yellow berries in the fall, and
good-smelling light yellow flowers in the spring. It is horribly
invasive. I have pulled hundred of them. Luckily they grow back
slowly, but this year there is a huge "bumper crop" of them coming
back all over. I have left one batch purposely as a privacy hedge,
and as long as you stay on top of it, it won't become invasive. Mine
had a 60 year start when I got the lot.
Kira

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I see some types have edible berries? Are yours edible? That will
probably enter into whether I take them all out and go looking to kill
more, or keep a few around.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens

They are edible, and my son likes them and makes a jam out of them,
but they are so small, it's not worth it. Their 2 weeks of delicious
smell in the Spring makes me keep some groves around. (Well, no way
to remove them all in our neighborhood, anyway.... thousands, no
exaggeration).
Kira

Old 18-07-2007, 07:46 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I may have found the mother plant of these eleagnus trees. It is now
covered with small pinkish-red berries. Does that sound like Autumn
Olive to you?
I hesitate to taste berries when not fairly sure of the species of
tree.

Identify small tree Paul Gardening 10 29-06-2011 12:14 AM
Identify small tree someone Garden Photos 2 15-08-2008 07:20 PM
another small tree to identify ncstockguy North Carolina 2 20-07-2007 03:41 AM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 06:18 PM
Help identify this small white flower/weed SugarChile Gardening 2 01-05-2003 01:56 AM