Old 15-09-2007, 05:40 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Vegetables to grow in Raleigh all year round.

Hello,

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best here? Do I need to get a
greenhouse to cover the plants on the patio during the winter months?
Can I get by without an additional light source (than the sun), or a
heater (other than the sun)?

Thanks
Sam

Old 16-09-2007, 07:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Of course, there is the favorite southern green collards.
There is a thick, meaty green called "corn mache" that is said to
really take the cold:
http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...bles/mache.asp
I plan to try it myself this year.

Old 16-09-2007, 08:17 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Sep 15, 12:40 pm, wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or
"similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round
and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC
area. What handles the weather the best here? Do I need to get a
greenhouse to cover the plants on the patio during the winter months?
Can I get by without an additional light source (than the sun), or a
heater (other than the sun)?

Thanks
Sam

I'd like to grow a variety of lettuce, but I have a patio garden that
faces north, and I'm a bit concerned that there might not be enough
winter sun, along with the cold nights. If I have some sort of a
greenhouse with a clear plastic covering, do you think this will help
me grow this crop successfully. I don't plan on buying a heater for
this outdoor patio garden.