Old 13-11-2007, 11:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default peppers just now producing...

We bought and planted a couple of pepper plants from Lowes last May.
The plants seemed be healthy but did not produce all summer. I was
out doing a little pre winter maintenance work the other day and
noticed they have a bunch of small peppers coming on now.. mid
November. Anyone else have peppers that did this? I am wondering if
Lowes was selling the wrong variety for this climate.... Usually we
get peppers by early July.

Old 15-11-2007, 04:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Yes, I have experienced the exact same phenomenon. I planted back in May,
and didn't get a single pepper before the first of October. Right now, they
are hanging full of small peppers, but they will freeze before they ever
mature, I'm sure.
My plants, too, were purchased from Lowes over at Crossroads.

ups.com...

Old 15-11-2007, 11:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Anne Lurie wrote:
I'd be more inclined to attribute the late development to some rain after a
long drought. (I'm not sure where you are, but we got 6" of rain in two
days so I suddenly had blooms on 2 of my Encore azaleas -- a bit ironic,
considering how many of my other azaleas died because of the drought.)

I'm surprised that any pepper buds survived the cold temperatures, though!
But if you have the time, you might try digging up a plant or two, putting
it in a container and bring it in so you can brag about having peppers for
Thanksgiving.

Anne

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
ups.com...

We bought and planted a couple of pepper plants from Lowes last May.
The plants seemed be healthy but did not produce all summer. I was
out doing a little pre winter maintenance work the other day and
noticed they have a bunch of small peppers coming on now.. mid
November. Anyone else have peppers that did this? I am wondering if
Lowes was selling the wrong variety for this climate.... Usually we
get peppers by early July.

I bring 3 to 5 pepper plants every winter in the house to
over winter. Works quite well. My Tabasco Plant in the
garden this year is 3 years old and 7' tall this year. He
won't be coming back in. (I've since learned to prune prune
prune)

3 Habanero plants are bucketed right now and in the garage
for the night before they are brought in the house.

I had some Red Savina Habaneros years ago go 3 to 4 years.
The best years are definitely 2nd and 3rd.

Craig
Old 17-11-2007, 01:31 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Prune how? To a nub?
After replanting?
More details, please!
Do they resprout inside, or do you mean you're just saving the mature
rootstock to replant in the spring?
If it's the rootstock you are saving and replanting, there still might
be time. If you're replanting to ripen young fruit, it's probably too
late for mine.
;-)

Peppers also don't set fruit when it's very hot out, so that in combo
with the drought is probably why they didn't bear this summer and are
bearing now.

oups.com...

Old 18-11-2007, 01:34 PM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote:
Prune how? To a nub?
After replanting?
More details, please!
Do they resprout inside, or do you mean you're just saving the mature
rootstock to replant in the spring?
If it's the rootstock you are saving and replanting, there still might
be time. If you're replanting to ripen young fruit, it's probably too
late for mine.
;-)

Peppers also don't set fruit when it's very hot out, so that in combo
with the drought is probably why they didn't bear this summer and are
bearing now.

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
groups.com...

We bought and planted a couple of pepper plants from Lowes last May.
The plants seemed be healthy but did not produce all summer. I was
out doing a little pre winter maintenance work the other day and
noticed they have a bunch of small peppers coming on now.. mid
November. Anyone else have peppers that did this? I am wondering if
Lowes was selling the wrong variety for this climate.... Usually we
get peppers by early July.

I have had all things happen from complete leaf loss to
white mites. The only thing that will happen is your plants
will survive the winter. There will be no fruit harvest
other than what is on the vine in the house. They are survivers!

Bottom line is that you will plant a plant that is 12" tall
in the spring and grew like the dickens. Year 2 is the best!

Pruning, I have no experience. But my friend in Ca. says
thats the best way. "Just like a grape vine" we get the best
fruit by pruning.

Craig

Old 25-11-2007, 11:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Well we managed to get three edible small peppers off the plants
before the hard frost.
I will definitely try getting them from a different source than Lowe's
next year and make sure they are a different "brand" too. We usually
have plenty of peppers even if it is hot.