Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Is this group still active?

I have not posted for a while. I kind of lost interest while I was
having heart problems, but I seem to be recovering enough to be
interested in gardening again. I actually got my garden tilled this
fall instead of spring as it normally happens.

I just got a Burpee and Stark Brothers catalogs. I plan to plant the
regular stuff. String beans, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra,
peppers(though I specialize in killing them). I have an asparagus bed
as well. Perhaps some snow peas, radish and greens as a early garden.
I have some collards and cabbage now that look pretty good, but I
thought the bugs were going to devour them this fall. So greens for
greenbacks on new years day for us.

is a garbage address.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:03 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Wes Dukes wrote:
I have not posted for a while. I kind of lost interest while I was
having heart problems, but I seem to be recovering enough to be
interested in gardening again. I actually got my garden tilled this
fall instead of spring as it normally happens.

I just got a Burpee and Stark Brothers catalogs. I plan to plant the
regular stuff. String beans, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra,
peppers(though I specialize in killing them). I have an asparagus bed
as well. Perhaps some snow peas, radish and greens as a early garden.
I have some collards and cabbage now that look pretty good, but I
thought the bugs were going to devour them this fall. So greens for
greenbacks on new years day for us.

Hi Wes,

Thanks for posting in. I am more of a lurker than a
contributor. We also have had our share of health problems
limiting us on what we did the past two years.

We have planted a garden every year but we struggle to keep
it maintained for maximum performance. We do a lot of
canning and that continues to be a great interest of ours.
It really helps to enjoy the garden throughout the calendar
year by canning. A lot of the products we put up are jellys,
tomato sauces and hot pepper sauces.

Good luck with the garden next year and Happy New Year.

Craig in Raleigh

(is this a top posting group or bottom posting group? To
many to keep up with)
Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 01:03:22 GMT in Craig Watts wrote:

We have planted a garden every year but we struggle to keep
it maintained for maximum performance. We do a lot of
canning and that continues to be a great interest of ours.

canning is the goal for my garden next year. And keeping it maintained
is a pain.

(is this a top posting group or bottom posting group? To
many to keep up with)

If your response is not aided by quoting the other person
DO NOT QUOTE them.
And as this newsgroup existed before the september that finally ended,
it's good old internet style TRIMMED quoting.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Dec 31 2008, 7:16*pm, Wes Dukes
wrote:
I have not posted for a while. *I kind of lost interest while I was
having heart problems, but I seem to be recovering enough to be
interested in gardening again. *I actually got my garden tilled this
fall instead of spring as it normally happens.

I just got a Burpee and Stark Brothers catalogs. *I plan to plant the
regular stuff. *String beans, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra,
peppers(though I specialize in killing them). *I have an asparagus bed
as well. *Perhaps some snow peas, radish and greens as a early garden.
I have some collards and cabbage now that look pretty good, but I
thought the bugs were going to devour them this fall. *So greens for
greenbacks on new years day for us.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) *Swap the . and the @ to email me please.

*is a garbage address.

I am still here!! We are enjoying our greenhouse and still getting
produce. We have some cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes and snow peas
currently. We have had it for a year now and really love the extended
gardening. It was just a couple of weeks ago there was still zuccini.
Keep in touch folks
Mary Jo
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Last year: bountiful cucumbers (gave away lots) but the
basil crop was a total failure.
It's different every year!

Planning for the 2009 garden. Not much to plan, really, we
will plant all our usual crops.
Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, squash, sugar snaps,
basil.

All the authorities advocate crop rotation. Nice idea, but
not practical for the small-scale
vegetable garden. 75% of our space is devoted to plants of
the nightshade family,
most of it used for tomatoes.

I had the annual debate with my sweetie. I suggested
making the garden larger,
she suggested making it smaller, and we compromised by
agreeing to keep it the same size.

These days the first of the seed catalogs arrive. They
come during the depths of winter,
when we gardeners are most vulnerable. The cover
photographs of luscious bright red
tomatoes are tantalizing. I have a theory: the people who
photograph beautiful models
for Playboy magazine and then Photoshop them to
perfection... those are the same people
who photograph beautiful produce for seed catalogs and then
Photoshop them to perfection.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens

When I first moved here in '88 I had a small garden. Lots of trees
around the house, not much direct sun. Root crops never did well. I
had some carrots that wintered over and even after two seasons in the
ground were smaller than my little finger.

Tomatoes, on the other hand, thrived. I had staked plants over eight
feet tall. Years passed, the trees grew, the sunny area dwindled, the
garden fell by the wayside. This year I plan to resurrect a bit of it
with container gardens on the deck.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Which reminds me to ask Chris if he is ready to get the greenhouse out
of our back yard to his - even if he is not ready to assemble it. I
know his mother hopes we can move it this spring.

Note, it is
disassembled - came from my dad's estate after he passed away. It
actually came from Raleigh originally.

is a garbage address.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Hi Wes,
Sorry to hear about your health problems.
I've had pretty severe back trouble, so have eased up a bit on the
gardening for awhile. Just a couple of very small patches
of tomatoes and beans and a little okra.
We may add some edamami this year.
The soil here is really rain-soaked for a change.
I too, have been perusing a bunch of seed catalogues. Always tempting
to try something new.
Here's to a better 2009 on many counts!

Old 14-01-2009, 08:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2009-01-11, ncstockguy wrote:
Hi Wes,
Sorry to hear about your health problems.
I've had pretty severe back trouble, so have eased up a bit on the
gardening for awhile. Just a couple of very small patches
of tomatoes and beans and a little okra.
We may add some edamami this year.
The soil here is really rain-soaked for a change.
I too, have been perusing a bunch of seed catalogues. Always tempting
to try something new.
Here's to a better 2009 on many counts!

Edamame sounds like something new to try. Thanks for the idea. I think
I will try a test row. It is hard to beat pole beans for output per
sqft though.

is a garbage address.