Old 21-04-2009, 10:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Tomatos

It looks like the Bonnie people have cornered the market on tomato sales.
They seem to be everywhere - Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. I
noticed there are very few available in the Dixie cup size. Everything is
the larger size. I did get a few from Craig The Tomatoman at the Farmer's
Market last weekend. If I am going to pay $3.00+ for a plant, I would
rather give the money to him. I should go back for more this weekend.
Old 22-04-2009, 04:32 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:11:51 +0000 (UTC) in Don6170 wrote:
It looks like the Bonnie people have cornered the market on tomato sales.
They seem to be everywhere - Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. I
noticed there are very few available in the Dixie cup size. Everything is
the larger size. I did get a few from Craig The Tomatoman at the Farmer's
Market last weekend. If I am going to pay $3.00+ for a plant, I would
rather give the money to him. I should go back for more this weekend.

I think Bonnie just cornered the market on having peat pots of vegetable
plants with UPC codes. Any store big enough to have computerized inventory
would really like UPCs even on the nuts and washers....

Homewood nursery has 4 packs of tomatoes and peppers for cheaper
than I can buy seeds. Granted, the other annuals will kill any savings
if you bring your wife along :-).

For something like a sauce tomato, I'm happier spending the $6 on a
72 cell jiffy tray from walmart and the $1-$2 for a pack of seeds.
Ditto for bell peppers and the hot peppers I inherited from my granddad.
I can also start the various annuals and annual herbs to have around the
house (Hrm, need to start more vincas).
Plus I can trade plants with my insane friends in Chatham County or
give annuals to my inlaws.

But for a beefsteak tomato (Because coworkers want them) or habeneros,
I go to homewood and get a 4 pack because my wife will kill me if I plant
more than 4 habeneros and I'll end up killing myself if I plant more
than 2 beefsteak tomatoes, and I just can't bring

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.