Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Cabbage worms

Small blue caterpillars are turning my cabbages into lace doilies.
What can I use to control them that is not harmful to humans eating
the cabbage?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 17:43:59 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
Small blue caterpillars are turning my cabbages into lace doilies.
What can I use to control them that is not harmful to humans eating
the cabbage?

Bacillus Thuringiensis.
The only place i could find it locally was Post Nursery off of
401 a bit north of burlington mills rd.
The place for pot growers off of hillsboro street (5th season
or something like that) might have it.
Some Ace Hardwares might have it.

Also either permethrins or pyrethrins (Whichever one is in Rotenone).
I've seen Rotenone in Ace and Walmart.

The other thing to try is bifenthrin (Ortho Max for granules, I forget the
name for the liquid for spraying). Follow the california guidelines for
use on food crops if you're paranoid about residue. It's a synthetic
version of the previous item complete with a fairly high half life.

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Will the plants recover when the worms are gone? They are pretty
chewed up, but then the heads have barely begun to form. Seems like
there's plenty of time for new, healthy growth.

Weeds and worms run the same schedule in early spring. Once
they have a leg up on you you are in a catch up game. My
motto has changed to work the hardest in early spring and
the rewards will come through in the harvest.

Our personal choice is to use liquid sevin for the worms.
It's very effective to save you broccoli and cabbage. We
attack early and often.

For weeds we use the school of hard labor and a hoe. Again,
early and often. Once the canopy of the crop is up the sun
will not get to the weeds as effective.

Good luck and keep up with your open desire to learn.

Craig