Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Artichokes

I have five artichoke plants in my container garden. The foliage is
lush, but no sign of any artichokes. I seem to recall reading that it
takes two years to form artichokes. Should I just let the plants
winter over and see what happens next year?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 15:11:51 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
I have five artichoke plants in my container garden. The foliage is
lush, but no sign of any artichokes. I seem to recall reading that it
takes two years to form artichokes. Should I just let the plants
winter over and see what happens next year?

It's a perennial.
But appears to only be hardy to Zone 8a.
If you can plant them in the ground close to the house on a southern exposure
you probably won't need to do more than put a sheet over them on the coldest
nights this winter.
Otherwise, pull them inside just before the first night it's due to hit
25F.
--
Chris Dukes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It's a perennial.
But appears to only be hardy to Zone 8a.
If you can plant them in the ground close to the house on a southern exposure
you probably won't need to do more than put a sheet over them on the coldest
nights this winter.
Otherwise, pull them inside just before the first night it's due to hit
25F.
--
Chris Dukes
What kind of artichokes are you growing?

If you are growing Jerusalem artichokes, and are looking in the roots for some tubers to eat, then you dug them up too early, they form in autumn. They are very hardy.

If you are growing globe artichokes, and are looking for a large thistle bud, then those should have started forming back in the spring ready for harvest from late spring through to autumn. If you planted a small plant this spring, you were probably too late to get any crop this year. From personal experience, they are hardier than Mr Dukes says. Wikipedia says zone 7. Since they are commonly grown in France and (less commonly) England, both now and in mediaeval times, that must be true.

If you have something that looks like a sunflower and are looking for something that looks like a globe artichoke growing on it, then you bought the wrong plant.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens

echinosum wrote:

What kind of artichokes are you growing?

If you are growing Jerusalem artichokes, and are looking in the roots
for some tubers to eat, then you dug them up too early, they form in
autumn. They are very hardy.

If you are growing globe artichokes, and are looking for a large
thistle bud, then those should have started forming back in the spring
ready for harvest from late spring through to autumn. If you planted a
small plant this spring, you were probably too late to get any crop
this year. From personal experience, they are hardier than Mr Dukes
says. Wikipedia says zone 7. Since they are commonly grown in France
and (less commonly) England, both now and in mediaeval times, that must
be true.

The tag says Green Globe. The plants are clusters of thistle-like
leaves, sort of grayish green.

Old 14-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans View Post
The tag says Green Globe. The plants are clusters of thistle-like leaves, sort of grayish green.
Good, that's a globe artichoke. Probably it was too small to produce this year. It will probably die back over winter, shoot in the spring, and give you globes next year. A bit of fertilizer would help if you want some big ones. And keep an eye out for aphids, they can so completely infest a globle if you don't keep them under control that you wouldn't want to eat it.

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 11:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 03:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 10:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 11:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 10:38 PM