Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default What's gonna be in your garden this year?

It is windy and blustery today so I thought it was time to start a
spring time topic.

Probably the same old for me. Tomatoes, pepper, eggplant,cucumber,
bush string beans, okra, yellow squash, asparagus(existing bed). I
have a small mound of elephant garlic that I planted last spring that
started greening out in the fall.

We have a few more collards to much on before it gets too warm and
bolts.

I need to keep ahead of the white flies this year. Last year I let
them get ahead of me.

I have a few acres of land in SC and planted 9 blueberry plants
there. I don't anticipate getting many for a couple years. These
were dug up from some my father planted years ago. They ended up on
land my brother inherited and he wants to run a ditch through them.
He plans to move them with a back hoe, but knowing his track record
for gardening, I expect the plants will be neglected, but it will give
me a place to get more plants if I need them.

I have a few here, but they need screening from the birds which I
never do. I will probably get a few of those canes just so I have a
different variety for better cross pollination.

I never got a newsfeed for usenet so I will have to put up with google
groups interface.

Wes
Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Feb 10, 2:08*pm, WesD wrote:
[...]

We ate thinking of trying Tomato plants in wheat straw this year. Any
stories or advice for us? I have my tomatoes and peppers started. I
have my onions but have not planted them yet. Garlic from the fall
seems to be taking the winter well. WRAL and the farmers Almanac say
spring is not going to be early this year. I hope they are wrong!!!

MJ
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Things I learned fom my first container garden last year:

No cabbage or brussel sprouts. The cabbage worms ate them down to the
bone.

Fewer tomatos and peppers. Maybe 2 romano tomato, 2 regular size, and
2 pepper plants.

No more strawberries. They take up too much space for too little
yield.

No more sunflowers. Only a handful sprouted, and they only reached
about 18 inches.

No more catnip. The cats didn't really care for it.

I did root crops (carrots, onions) in big mortar tubs. Next time I
will sow the seads in patches and not rows. The rows left a lot of
unused space and needed too much thinning.

Get the lettuce in earlier. Planted it in mid-April and it went to
seed before we had any of it.

The Swiss chard was fantastic, but I couldn't get my wife to cook it,
so I probably won't do it again.

Celery did well, but we didn't eat much of it. Probaby won't do it
again.

Get the spinach in earlier.

Green Globe artichokes didn't produce (they don't until the second
year). I cut the tops and mulched them, but they are in 5-gal plastic
pails and with the cold we've had the root balls may have frozen. If
they don't come back on their own, I won't try them again.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 AM posted to triangle.gardens

WesD wrote:
Probably the same old for me.

Sasme here.
Tomatoes
Eggplant, asian varieties
Peppers, sweet
Squash, green
Peas, sugar snap
Basil

Last year the garden was hit, hard, by Late Blight.
Hoping to be spared this year.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:08:50 -0800 (PST) in WesD wrote:
It is windy and blustery today so I thought it was time to start a
spring time topic.

Probably the same old for me. Tomatoes, pepper, eggplant,cucumber,
bush string beans, okra, yellow squash, asparagus(existing bed). I
have a small mound of elephant garlic that I planted last spring that
started greening out in the fall.

Beans: Green and wax (Hopefully the variety chosen this year will not rust)
Sweet corn
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Cantaloupes
Okra
Onions
Sugar Snap Peas
Sweet Peppers
Zucchini
A couple "pumpkin" varieties from C. Moschata
Spinach
Carrots
Radish
Chard
Asparagus
Softneck Garlic
Tomatoes

And if one of the Pakistanis at work brings me a seed packet
I'll be growing Tinda (Also known as Indian Apple Gourd).

--
Chris Dukes

Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:01:51 -0500 in wrote:

No more strawberries. They take up too much space for too little
yield.

You need more light for strawberries to be productive.

I did root crops (carrots, onions) in big mortar tubs. Next time I
will sow the seads in patches and not rows. The rows left a lot of
unused space and needed too much thinning.

When in containers or raised beds, figure your row separation to be
about what you thin them to within a row.
And if your thinned spacing is about 3" just plant with seeds
apart at the distance recommended for thinning.

Get the lettuce in earlier. Planted it in mid-April and it went to
seed before we had any of it.

You'll want something that is also bolt resistant.
I could only track down 3 of the varieties of bolt resistant romaines
recommended by the NC Ag extension, but I bought samplers of all three.
I'll be starting those indoors as soon as the seed arrives.
Let me know if you want a few seedlings.

The Swiss chard was fantastic, but I couldn't get my wife to cook it,
so I probably won't do it again.

Celery did well, but we didn't eat much of it. Probaby won't do it
again.

If you want just a little bit of celery for seasoning, I'd suggest
getting "lovage" from Big Bloomers in Sanford. It was absolutely
wonderful in chicken and rice as well as in tuna salad.

Get the spinach in earlier.

Plant the seed now, stick the containers as close to the house as
possible.

Green Globe artichokes didn't produce (they don't until the second
year). I cut the tops and mulched them, but they are in 5-gal plastic
pails and with the cold we've had the root balls may have frozen. If
they don't come back on their own, I won't try them again.

Or just plan ahead and have some pits to bury the containers in
before first fall frost 2010.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 13-02-2010, 10:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Onion and lettuce seed have arrived.

Two of the three romaine lettuce varieties I ordered have arrived
(Jericho and Coastal Star) and have been started indoors. If anyone
is interested in lettuce seedlings, let me know.

Also day neutral sweet onion seed has arrived (Candy Hybrid) and started.
If anyone is interested in onion seedlings, let me know.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 22-02-2010, 03:02 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Feb 10, 3:53*pm, mj wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:08*pm, WesD wrote:

[...]

Whoa, I had to reinstall Windows XP to get my tax program to run and I
totally forgot I made this post.

I have never tried planting in straw or shredded leaves but Craig C.
(Tomatolord) who does heirlooms reports consistent success with
shredded leaves. I have done something different in the last few
years that gives me longer lasting plants. I mulch immediately after
planting with shredded hardwood mulch. As I understand it plants get
contaminated from rain splashing dirt on the leaves. The shredded
mulch prevents this. I think the leaves and probably straw do the
same thing. I don't have a shredder so I like the mulch. Please try
some with straw and let us know.

I have had problems with cucumber plants having all the leaves turn
brown and die early. I found last year that spraying with fungicide
every couple weeks gave me the longest lasting plants in quite a few
years.

Anybody got any miracle cures for white flies?
Old 22-02-2010, 03:10 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Feb 10, 5:01*pm, wrote:
Things I learned fom my first container garden last year:

No cabbage or brussel sprouts. The cabbage worms ate them down to the
bone.

I use Sevin dust, but some folks prefer bT (bacillus thurge(something)

The Swiss chard was fantastic, but I couldn't get my wife to cook it,
so I probably won't do it again.

My wife found a great recipe for vegetarian minestrone soup with Swiss
chard, canelli beans and edamame so I will probably try some.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered User

I will not do much in recent years. These have been discovered by some of my father planted years ago. They finished in the land inherited from my brother and he wants to be a trench through them. He plans to move with a backhoe, but knowing that its roadmap for gardening, I hope the plants will be forgotten, but give me a place to get more plants, if I have to.
Complete kitchen

Old 22-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B. Martin[_2_] View Post
WesD wrote: Probably the same old for me. Tomatoes,Eggplant, asian varieties, Peppers, sweet Squash, green Peas, sugar snap Basil. Last year the garden was hit, hard, by Late Blight. Hoping to be spared this year. Daniel B. Martin
I would love to have some Asian varieties as well. Can you suggest any good stores that may probably provide this types?