Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Ailing house plants

I have a west-facing greenhouse wall containing several large house
plants: Rubber plant, Schefflera, Dwarf Schefflera, Dracaena, and
self-heading Philodendron. I've had them all for several years but his
Spring several seem ailing.

The Schefflera is dropping leaves, but from the bottom and the new
growth seems OK. This may be normal, but I've not seen it before. The
Dwarf Schefflera, on the other hand, is dropping from the top. The
branches are bare, the stems are still green, but I can't see any new
growth.

The Philodendron's old leaves are yellowing and dropping, new growth
leaves are much smaller. Overall, it seems limp and droopy. Maybe it
needs more sun, but it hasn't in years past.

I just repotted the Dwarf Schefflera and Philodendron yesterday and
neither was severely pot bound. I've been feeding them Miracle-Gro
every two weeks since new growth started. They are neither over nor
under watered. No sign of insect activity. Rubber plant and Dracaenas
are fine.

Are these problems, or just a normal phase?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Apr 3, 2:06*pm, wrote:
[...]

Here is the scatter gun approach with follow up questions and
opinions. Hope it helps.

Something has changed - don't think the switch to daylight savings
time had an effect. :-)

That only the Schefflera are affected says it may be normal. They do
shed some leaves I believe.

You said they are neither over or under watered, I don't know if that
means you water a set amount at a set interval or if you also have you
checked pot drainage. I killed a dwarf Alberta Spruce, because the
drain clogged up and I thought the wilting was from too little water
when I had really drowned the roots. But both having drainage
problems at once would be unusual.

What is the heat source for the greenhouse? Is the greenhouse
attached to your home or standalone?

Dropping leaves sounds like too much heat or low humidity, but most
leaf drop happens when heat is turned on in the fall.

Do you regularly feed with miracle grow? I would not go wild with
feeding miracle grow - that stuff is heavy in nitrogen and is not slow
release.

Wes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:29:32 -0700 (PDT), WesD
wrote:

Here is the scatter gun approach with follow up questions and
opinions. Hope it helps.

That only the Schefflera are affected says it may be normal.

Schefflera and philodendron.

You said they are neither over or under watered, I don't know if that
means you water a set amount at a set interval or if you also have you
checked pot drainage.

I gauge by sticking my finger in the soil. When it's dry about an inch
donw, I water. I used to have dozens and dozens of huoseplants and
watering was never an issue.

I killed a dwarf Alberta Spruce, because the
drain clogged up and I thought the wilting was from too little water
when I had really drowned the roots. But both having drainage
problems at once would be unusual.

I have gravel in the bottom of each pot.

What is the heat source for the greenhouse?

Heat pump.

Is the greenhouse
attached to your home or standalone?

Attached. Stays about 66 degrees year round.

Dropping leaves sounds like too much heat or low humidity, but most
leaf drop happens when heat is turned on in the fall.

True.

Do you regularly feed with miracle grow? I would not go wild with
feeding miracle grow - that stuff is heavy in nitrogen and is not slow
release.

Mostly on garden plants. Can't recall if I used it on the house plants
before.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 AM posted to triangle.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Can't say I am a big house plant expert, so I am stumped already.

Some philodendron don't branch more tips, but keep growing on only 1,
some of the older leaves will drop eventually. A guy in Huntsville
had one growing in his cube around 3 walls with a tag marking the
growth of each Apollo launch.

Schefflera do drop leaves, but I don't know if it is annual or not.
The lobby of the building I used to work in had some large ones and I
noticed the plant care people and cleaning staff kept the fallen ones
picked up so there were never many on the floor.

One last hail mary. You said no insects found, but how closely have
you examined the underside of the leaf for some kind of aphid or other
non flying very small insect. Might even try a magnifying glass. to
check them.
Repotting would have agitated the leaves and revealed white flies or
other airborne insects.

Wish I could have been more help.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:50 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:06:11 -0400 in wrote:
[SNEEP]
Just a guess but... some of your cats ****ed in the pots.

Remedy, completely bare root the plant, rinse the roots thoroughly
with water, pot in fresh potting soil without fertilizer, and
still expect to have to toss some of them out.

Ailing Tea Tree Plants Michael D United Kingdom 6 11-07-2011 05:34 PM
Ailing vanda sansai blue Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 9 21-02-2004 12:43 AM
Ailing Croton Trevor Gardening 1 27-07-2003 08:22 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 12:08 PM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 10:38 PM