Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Peppers

mj wrote:

I have 48 pepper plants started and 10 tomatoes. Just a few flowers,
mostly to see if the seeds are still any good.

What kind of peppers did you plant

I planted 24 Habeneros in 2011. This year I'm only planting 12
to make room for bell peppers, tomatoes, zuchini, and eggplants.
Also I'll prune them and bring the pepper and the tomatoes inside
for the winter this year.

Dick
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 10, 10:32*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
I have 48 pepper plants started and 10 tomatoes. Just a few flowers,
mostly to see if the seeds are still any good.

What kind of peppers did you plant

I planted 24 Habeneros in 2011. *This year I'm only planting 12
to make room for bell peppers, tomatoes, zuchini, and eggplants.
Also I'll prune them and bring the pepper and the tomatoes inside
for the winter this year.

Dick

Truth is I don't really know. Sams has packages of small yellow, red
and orange peppers. About 3 years ago I harvested some of the seeds
and grew the peppers with much success. I have kept that going year to
year with the current crop. I have 3 shelves of my upright freezer
full of peppers. Last fall I did the same with some Bell peppers. I
planted a few of the seeds then and the did well, although with out
the green house they just died, but I know they will germinate I have
never had good luck with Bell peppers so I am really hoping this year.
There have been some various hot, Cubenells and Banana's.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 AM posted to triangle.gardens

mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:

[...]

I buy pepper plants from Cross Country www.chileplants.com because
they are a source for Red Savina Habeneros. Peppers are perenialls.
So this year I'm hoping they will survive indoors. I don't have the
patience to grow from seed.

Dick - A Tarheel tried and true
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 11, 6:37*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
[...]

How do you keep them indoors? Grow Lights? Do they flower and get
peppers or are you just able to keep the plants alive?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM posted to triangle.gardens

mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I buy pepper plants from Cross Country www.chileplants.com because
they are a source for Red Savina Habeneros. Peppers are perenials.
So this year I'm hoping they will survive indoors. I don't have the
patience to grow from seed.

How do you keep them indoors? Grow Lights?

I plant on using an old hydroponics grow lamp.

Do they flower and get peppers or are you just able
to keep the plants alive?

I don't know as this will be the first year I try it.

Dick

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 11, 7:18*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I buy pepper plants from Cross Country www.chileplants.com because
they are a source for Red Savina Habeneros. Peppers are perenials.
So this year I'm hoping they will survive indoors. I don't have the
patience to grow from seed.

How do you keep them indoors? Grow Lights?

I plant on using an old hydroponics grow lamp.

Do they flower and get peppers or are you just able
to keep the plants alive?

I don't know as this will be the first year I try it.

Dick

Do you know someone that has had success with this ? What did they
say?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I buy pepper plants from Cross Country www.chileplants.com because
they are a source for Red Savina Habeneros. Peppers are perenials.
So this year I'm hoping they will survive indoors. I don't have the
patience to grow from seed.

How do you keep them indoors? Grow Lights?

I plan on using an old hydroponics grow lamp.

Do they flower and get peppers or are you just able
to keep the plants alive?

I don't know as this will be the first year I try it.

Do you know someone that has had success with this?
What did they say?

Yes, but they are in Arizona where there is no frost. Their point
was peppers and tomatoes are perennials. So if you prune them, bring
them indoors, and keep them warm, they should prosper again next year.

Dick

Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 12, 4:43*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
mj wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
I buy pepper plants from Cross Country www.chileplants.com because
they are a source for Red Savina Habeneros. Peppers are perenials.
So this year I'm hoping they will survive indoors. I don't have the
patience to grow from seed.
How do you keep them indoors? Grow Lights?
I plan on using an old hydroponics grow lamp.
Do they flower and get peppers or are you just able
to keep the plants alive?
I don't know as this will be the first year I try it.

Do you know someone that has had success with this?
What did they say?

Yes, but they are in Arizona where there is no frost. *Their point
was peppers and tomatoes are perennials. *So if you prune them, bring
them indoors, and keep them warm, they should prosper again next year.

Dick

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us all know how this plays
out. And on another note we sold the greenhouse to a guy from
Wilmington. Bought lumber today. Yours?