Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Garden Plans

I was going to go to the garden today and pull out the spring crop in order to get ready for fall. BUT finally we are getting some very much needed rain. Slow and steady rain for the first time in long memory. Do any of you have fall planting plans? Has anyone had much success planting zucchini and cucumbers in mid August? I did not get a great crop of either this year so I am hoping for a second chance. How did everyone else do this year now that it is August?
MJ
Southeast of the Triangle
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 08/01/2012 08:20 AM, mj wrote:
I was going to go to the garden today and pull out the
spring crop in order to get ready for fall.
BUT finally we are getting some very much needed rain.
Slow and steady rain for the first time in long memory.
Do any of you have fall planting plans?
Has anyone had much success planting zucchini and cucumbers in mid August?
I did not get a great crop of either this year so I am hoping for a second chance.
How did everyone else do this year now that it is August?

Hooray for rain. In past years watering our crops with
the garden hose stressed the well.

We never had much luck with a fall garden but might try again.

This year's garden production has been substandard.

Zucchini vines were destroyed even earlier than usual by insect pests.
We are not strictly organic gardeners but refrain from using
insecticides because they kill beneficial insects including the
honeybees from a neighbor's hives.

Sweet peppers are a complete flop.

Basil germination was disappointing but the few plants we
have are growing lushly. Pasta with pesto, yum!

Tomatoes are producing well but the fruit exhibits Yellow Shoulders.

Eggplants are producing only a moderate crop but the fruit is
exceptionally good. We grow only Asian varieties.

Cucumbers are the banner crop. Plenty to eat, plenty to give away.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 27-08-2012, 07:13 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:31:54 AM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/01/2012 08:20 AM, mj wrote:

[...]

I would start a new topic but it seems it is still really this one. The fall crop is in. I transplanted a zucchini plant that I started in a pot about 5 weeks ago. I planted 3 hills of it as well. I transplanted a cucumber that I had started about the same time that was kept in the green house. They weren't very happy about the transplant but seem to have forgiven me. In the green house I still have 4 tomato plants. 2 of them are fairly new and the other 2 are cut back plants from all summer. I have had luck in the past keeping them through the winter, hope so this year. As I have mentioned before these are grown hydroponically. I want to put in some snow peas and lettuce but I think I will hold off on that for a bit. SO is there anyone else in the Triangle that still has time to garden?
MJ

light garden plans Pamela Claus Orchids 0 25-05-2003 07:32 AM
Garden Gate® Plans pelirojaroja Gardening 0 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
Garden Plans pelirojaroja Gardening 3 03-04-2003 04:44 AM
anyone have layouts of formal garden plans? Kellie J. Berger Roses 3 18-03-2003 05:08 PM
Garden plans and Microsoft Visio Mark Gardening 0 05-02-2003 11:50 PM