GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is Anybody Out There...... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/207947-anybody-out-there.html)

mj 01-08-2013 07:57 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

Hod did your gardens go this summer? I did fairly well but it was no banner year for zucchini, yellow and cucumbers. I have round 2 started now and am crossing my fingers. In good news some of the winter squash that I didn't think even germinated produced a few. The peppers are the best I have ever grown. I tried using Epsom Salts and am very impressed.
The electric fence I put around the Rose Garden was also a huge success. I have had some beautiful roses and they will produce until October usually.
Would love to hear from fellow local gardeners !

MJ

Daniel B. Martin 02-08-2013 01:23 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/01/2013 01:57 PM, mj wrote:
How did your gardens go this summer?

A cool spring followed by an overly-wet early summer was unkind to our
crops. In past years our earliest tomato harvest was June 20; this year
it was July 20. At present we are getting plentiful harvests of
cucumbers and Asian eggplants. Basil was good but is starting to bolt.
Squash (Zucchini and Lebanese) are adequate but we see Squash Borer
damage and know the end is near. Tomatoes are still too few. Peppers
are struggling. Weeds are doing quite well.

We've always had insect pests and prefer to cope by hand-picking. It's
not that we are gung-ho 100% organic, but have a preference to avoid
chemicals as much as possible. Don't want to harm beneficial insects
such as Ladybugs and the neighbor's honeybees. This year we've had less
trouble with flea beetles but more of the little white creepy-crawlies
(don't know the proper name). Lots of Colorado Potato Beetles, a few
Tomato Hornworms, no Striped Blister Beetles yet. Kudzu Bugs are
numerous on nearby kudzu vines but have not been seen in the garden.

Daniel B. Martin
Apex NC

mj 03-08-2013 12:36 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:23:57 AM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/01/2013 01:57 PM, mj wrote:

[...]

Neighbors honey bees? I know a bee keeper in Apex.
I had squash borers too and never have had them before yet no Hornworms (such a blessing that is).
Will you plant a second crop?
MJ

Daniel B. Martin 03-08-2013 07:41 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/03/2013 06:36 AM, mj wrote:
I had squash borers too...
Will you plant a second crop?

Already did. When the squash vines show their first blossoms, that is
the signal to plant a second crop. Sometimes there is a third planting.

There are lots of ways to cook squash. One of my favorites is simple
and fast. Wash, cut into 1/4-inch disks, and stir-fry in a wok. Cook
at high heat until some of the disks are blackened. This brings out the
natural sweetness of the vegetable.

Variation: toss some thinly-sliced sweet onion into the wok, along with
the squash.

Daniel B. Martin

mj 03-08-2013 08:55 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:41:01 PM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/03/2013 06:36 AM, mj wrote:

I had squash borers too...

Will you plant a second crop?

Already did. When the squash vines show their first blossoms, that is

the signal to plant a second crop. Sometimes there is a third planting.

There are lots of ways to cook squash. One of my favorites is simple

and fast. Wash, cut into 1/4-inch disks, and stir-fry in a wok. Cook

at high heat until some of the disks are blackened. This brings out the

natural sweetness of the vegetable.

Variation: toss some thinly-sliced sweet onion into the wok, along with

the squash.

Daniel B. Martin

I never knew that !! First blossoms huh? Always next year, thanks
Are you talking yellow squash? I have been making that for over 30 years and this year I found the best recipe ever. Saute it with onion, drain, mix in sour cream, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt pepper etc. bake in casserole topped with bread crumbs, more parmesan or panko crumbs. 350 / 20 minutes or so.
I can get you the specifics if you are interested. It freezes really well too
MJ

Daniel B. Martin 05-08-2013 04:29 AM

Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/03/2013 02:55 PM, mj wrote:
Saute it with onion, drain, mix in sour cream, cheddar cheese,
parmesan cheese, salt pepper etc. bake in casserole topped with
bread crumbs, more parmesan or panko crumbs. 350 / 20 minutes or so.

You could start with darn near anything, prepare it in this manner, and
the result will be delicious!

Daniel B. Martin

?[_4_] 06-08-2013 05:45 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:57:24 -0700 (PDT) in mj wrote:
Hod did your gardens go this summer? I did fairly well but it was no banner year for zucchini, yellow and cucumbers. I have round 2 started now and am crossing my fingers. In good news some of the winter squash that I didn't think even germinated produced a few. The peppers are the best I have ever grown. I tried using Epsom Salts and am very impressed.
The electric fence I put around the Rose Garden was also a huge success. I have had some beautiful roses and they will produce until October usually.
Would love to hear from fellow local gardeners !

Sweet peppers have done okay.
Hot peppers have done very well.
Cucumbers have done well.
Zuccinni did enough to get a zuccini bread out of it.
Yellow cherry tomatoes have been prolific.
Still waiting for the other tomatoes to get ripe. The polish paste
tomato looks prolific... but hasn't produced much ripe fruit yet.
Stump of the world took forever to set fruit. And the volunteer
brandywyne has set a lot of fruit, bit it isn't ripe yet.
I also have a volunteer dwarf tomato that's yet to set fruit.
Beans did an okay couple of batches then fizzled.
Field peas have been a disappointment.
Cantaloupes looked good, then got eaten by a critter.

Pumpkins... pumpkins are happy.
Delicata squash... are happy.

MJ

?[_4_] 06-08-2013 11:50 PM

Is Anybody Out There......

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:45:43 +0000 (UTC) in ? wrote:
[...]

Correction, got one brandywine tomato today.

I also have a volunteer dwarf tomato that's yet to set fruit.

It's set fruit some, but the deer keep eating the plant.

Beans did an okay couple of batches then fizzled.
Field peas have been a disappointment.
Cantaloupes looked good, then got eaten by a critter.

And eggplant has done better than it ever has for me.