A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Regional Gardening Discussions » North Carolina
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is Anybody Out There......



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 191
Default Is Anybody Out There......

Hod did your gardens go this summer? I did fairly well but it was no banner year for zucchini, yellow and cucumbers. I have round 2 started now and am crossing my fingers. In good news some of the winter squash that I didn't think even germinated produced a few. The peppers are the best I have ever grown. I tried using Epsom Salts and am very impressed.
The electric fence I put around the Rose Garden was also a huge success. I have had some beautiful roses and they will produce until October usually.
Would love to hear from fellow local gardeners !

MJ
Ads
  #2  
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/01/2013 01:57 PM, mj wrote:
How did your gardens go this summer?


A cool spring followed by an overly-wet early summer was unkind to our
crops. In past years our earliest tomato harvest was June 20; this year
it was July 20. At present we are getting plentiful harvests of
cucumbers and Asian eggplants. Basil was good but is starting to bolt.
Squash (Zucchini and Lebanese) are adequate but we see Squash Borer
damage and know the end is near. Tomatoes are still too few. Peppers
are struggling. Weeds are doing quite well.

We've always had insect pests and prefer to cope by hand-picking. It's
not that we are gung-ho 100% organic, but have a preference to avoid
chemicals as much as possible. Don't want to harm beneficial insects
such as Ladybugs and the neighbor's honeybees. This year we've had less
trouble with flea beetles but more of the little white creepy-crawlies
(don't know the proper name). Lots of Colorado Potato Beetles, a few
Tomato Hornworms, no Striped Blister Beetles yet. Kudzu Bugs are
numerous on nearby kudzu vines but have not been seen in the garden.

Daniel B. Martin
Apex NC




  #3  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM posted to triangle.gardens
mj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 191
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On Friday, August 2, 2013 7:23:57 AM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/01/2013 01:57 PM, mj wrote:

How did your gardens go this summer?




A cool spring followed by an overly-wet early summer was unkind to our

crops. In past years our earliest tomato harvest was June 20; this year

it was July 20. At present we are getting plentiful harvests of

cucumbers and Asian eggplants. Basil was good but is starting to bolt.

Squash (Zucchini and Lebanese) are adequate but we see Squash Borer

damage and know the end is near. Tomatoes are still too few. Peppers

are struggling. Weeds are doing quite well.



We've always had insect pests and prefer to cope by hand-picking. It's

not that we are gung-ho 100% organic, but have a preference to avoid

chemicals as much as possible. Don't want to harm beneficial insects

such as Ladybugs and the neighbor's honeybees. This year we've had less

trouble with flea beetles but more of the little white creepy-crawlies

(don't know the proper name). Lots of Colorado Potato Beetles, a few

Tomato Hornworms, no Striped Blister Beetles yet. Kudzu Bugs are

numerous on nearby kudzu vines but have not been seen in the garden.



Daniel B. Martin

Apex NC


Neighbors honey bees? I know a bee keeper in Apex.
I had squash borers too and never have had them before yet no Hornworms (such a blessing that is).
Will you plant a second crop?
MJ
  #4  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/03/2013 06:36 AM, mj wrote:
I had squash borers too...
Will you plant a second crop?

Already did. When the squash vines show their first blossoms, that is
the signal to plant a second crop. Sometimes there is a third planting.

There are lots of ways to cook squash. One of my favorites is simple
and fast. Wash, cut into 1/4-inch disks, and stir-fry in a wok. Cook
at high heat until some of the disks are blackened. This brings out the
natural sweetness of the vegetable.

Variation: toss some thinly-sliced sweet onion into the wok, along with
the squash.

Daniel B. Martin


  #5  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 191
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:41:01 PM UTC-4, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
On 08/03/2013 06:36 AM, mj wrote:

I had squash borers too...


Will you plant a second crop?


Already did. When the squash vines show their first blossoms, that is

the signal to plant a second crop. Sometimes there is a third planting.



There are lots of ways to cook squash. One of my favorites is simple

and fast. Wash, cut into 1/4-inch disks, and stir-fry in a wok. Cook

at high heat until some of the disks are blackened. This brings out the

natural sweetness of the vegetable.



Variation: toss some thinly-sliced sweet onion into the wok, along with

the squash.



Daniel B. Martin


I never knew that !! First blossoms huh? Always next year, thanks
Are you talking yellow squash? I have been making that for over 30 years and this year I found the best recipe ever. Saute it with onion, drain, mix in sour cream, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt pepper etc. bake in casserole topped with bread crumbs, more parmesan or panko crumbs. 350 / 20 minutes or so.
I can get you the specifics if you are interested. It freezes really well too
MJ
  #6  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On 08/03/2013 02:55 PM, mj wrote:
Saute it with onion, drain, mix in sour cream, cheddar cheese,
parmesan cheese, salt pepper etc. bake in casserole topped with
bread crumbs, more parmesan or panko crumbs. 350 / 20 minutes or so.

You could start with darn near anything, prepare it in this manner, and
the result will be delicious!

Daniel B. Martin



  #7  
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:57:24 -0700 (PDT) in mj wrote:
Hod did your gardens go this summer? I did fairly well but it was no banner year for zucchini, yellow and cucumbers. I have round 2 started now and am crossing my fingers. In good news some of the winter squash that I didn't think even germinated produced a few. The peppers are the best I have ever grown. I tried using Epsom Salts and am very impressed.
The electric fence I put around the Rose Garden was also a huge success. I have had some beautiful roses and they will produce until October usually.
Would love to hear from fellow local gardeners !


Sweet peppers have done okay.
Hot peppers have done very well.
Cucumbers have done well.
Zuccinni did enough to get a zuccini bread out of it.
Yellow cherry tomatoes have been prolific.
Still waiting for the other tomatoes to get ripe. The polish paste
tomato looks prolific... but hasn't produced much ripe fruit yet.
Stump of the world took forever to set fruit. And the volunteer
brandywyne has set a lot of fruit, bit it isn't ripe yet.
I also have a volunteer dwarf tomato that's yet to set fruit.
Beans did an okay couple of batches then fizzled.
Field peas have been a disappointment.
Cantaloupes looked good, then got eaten by a critter.

Pumpkins... pumpkins are happy.
Delicata squash... are happy.

MJ

  #8  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Is Anybody Out There......

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:45:43 +0000 (UTC) in ? wrote:
On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:57:24 -0700 (PDT) in mj wrote:
Hod did your gardens go this summer? I did fairly well but it was no banner year for zucchini, yellow and cucumbers. I have round 2 started now and am crossing my fingers. In good news some of the winter squash that I didn't think even germinated produced a few. The peppers are the best I have ever grown. I tried using Epsom Salts and am very impressed.
The electric fence I put around the Rose Garden was also a huge success. I have had some beautiful roses and they will produce until October usually.
Would love to hear from fellow local gardeners !


Sweet peppers have done okay.
Hot peppers have done very well.
Cucumbers have done well.
Zuccinni did enough to get a zuccini bread out of it.
Yellow cherry tomatoes have been prolific.
Still waiting for the other tomatoes to get ripe. The polish paste
tomato looks prolific... but hasn't produced much ripe fruit yet.
Stump of the world took forever to set fruit. And the volunteer
brandywyne has set a lot of fruit, bit it isn't ripe yet.


Correction, got one brandywine tomato today.

I also have a volunteer dwarf tomato that's yet to set fruit.


It's set fruit some, but the deer keep eating the plant.

Beans did an okay couple of batches then fizzled.
Field peas have been a disappointment.
Cantaloupes looked good, then got eaten by a critter.


And eggplant has done better than it ever has for me.


Pumpkins... pumpkins are happy.
Delicata squash... are happy.

MJ

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2017 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.