Old 18-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Marti Dominick

Default Tree Doctor?

Can anyone recommend a tree doctor? We may be losing several fairly large
leyland cyprus trees that were "downed" in December's ice storm. Although we
winched them up and staked them, we're beginning to see browning in various
places on the trees. We'd really like to save them. Please email me with
any suggestions, please! Or call after 5:00 in Cary 919-677-1340.

Old 18-02-2003, 10:34 PM
C G

Marti Dominick wrote:

Can anyone recommend a tree doctor? We may be losing several fairly large
leyland cyprus trees that were "downed" in December's ice storm. Although we
winched them up and staked them, we're beginning to see browning in various
places on the trees. We'd really like to save them. Please email me with
any suggestions, please! Or call after 5:00 in Cary 919-677-1340.

Do yourselves a favor. Cut them down and spend the money you would have
used for the tree doctor to plant something with a longer life
expectancy.

Chuck
Old 19-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Brent Harsh

C G wrote:

Do yourselves a favor. Cut them down and spend the money you would have
used for the tree doctor to plant something with a longer life
expectancy.

We planted a few cedars a year ago last fall that haven't been growing fast
at all (i know, I know ... patience - but I swear, they've only gained
about 10 inches and even that is *very* spindly). I was considering
putting a row of Leylands in front of them this year, alternating spacing
to make kind of a "mixed" wide row of trees and provide better blocking
thinking they would grow faster.

If Leylands are not good (I've seen the bent ones recently) - any
recommendations on what might be a good alternative for a fast-growing
privacy screening type of evergreen?

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA

Old 19-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Raleighgirl

"Brent Harsh" wrote in message
. com...
C G wrote:

[...]

Hiya Brent.
A couple of years ago someone (I think it was Will or Baine) put
together a great list of trees to use for screening. I saved it then
but have lost it now. Can someone else reproduce it? There were
several pines and hollies on the list. I'd like to have it again,
too.
Jeny

Old 19-02-2003, 02:52 PM
C G

Brent Harsh wrote:

C G wrote:

Do yourselves a favor. Cut them down and spend the money you would have
used for the tree doctor to plant something with a longer life
expectancy.

We planted a few cedars a year ago last fall that haven't been growing fast
at all (i know, I know ... patience - but I swear, they've only gained
about 10 inches and even that is *very* spindly). I was considering
putting a row of Leylands in front of them this year, alternating spacing
to make kind of a "mixed" wide row of trees and provide better blocking
thinking they would grow faster.

I love cedars, but as you have discovered, they grow slowly. I did what
you are considering a number of years ago, with just Leylands. I
planted two rows. The trees were 10 feet apart in each row, and the
rows were 5 feet apart. After a few years, I had a big green fence.
Well, that was great until Fran came along and took out about 60% of my
fence.

If Leylands are not good (I've seen the bent ones recently) - any
recommendations on what might be a good alternative for a fast-growing
privacy screening type of evergreen?

Good question, wish I remembered the answer. Actually, it's better that
one not answer, and let you select things based on your preferences.
You've got to consider soil, light, water levels, and personal
preferences. I recommend a trip to the library to borrow a book titled
"Landscape Plants of the Southeast" by Gordon Halfacre, or if you've got
$60 to spare, you could buy yourself a copy. This book provides an
excellent source for you to find shrubs/trees which will meet your
needs. I remember that I ended up using a total of about 6 different
plants of varying heights and textures. A bonus what that some of them
gave us flowers, some gave fall color (I know, not such a good screen in
the winter), and some were wonderfully fragrant. In all, it was much
better than the big green fence.

Chuck

[IBC] Fw: bonsai doctor form Ian Young Bonsai 6 07-03-2004 08:09 PM
See the Tibetan Herbal Doctor Teach and Practice Mr. Chaos 007 Texas 1 29-10-2003 03:12 PM
The Pond Doctor book - thanks! Nanceemo Ponds 0 15-06-2003 09:36 AM
The Pond Doctor book Nanceemo Ponds 3 15-06-2003 07:08 AM
Tree Doctor? Marti Dominick North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 06:46 PM