Milky Spore Application?

Old 08-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Charles Balan

Default Milky Spore Application?

Hey,

Is now a good time to apply Milky Spore to control the Japanese Beetle
grubs? And what is the best applicator to spread the Milky Spore? And where
can I buy it for the cheapest price?

Thanks,
Charles

Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Baine Carruthers

IMHO Summer or early fall is the best time to apply milky spore. It needs
a host to spread and propogate itself and most spring grubs will be
mature(and already have done most of their damage) and less susceptable,
actually this is not quite true but if you know you have a problem with
white grubs or such now or think you will, this is a tough time to control
and other products with quicker knockdown will give more desired results.
If your trying to control a problem now, I would wait for warmer temps when
pest is closer to surface and more likely to come in contact with your
control. A good product that is relatively easy to obtain is Merit. A
spring application should still be effective through the summer.

--
Baine

. ..

Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Bob

"Charles Balan" wrote in message
. ..
Hey,
And what is the best applicator to spread the Milky Spore? And

where
can I buy it for the cheapest price?

Thanks,
Charles

I didn't use the spreadable Milky Spore, since it wasn't out when I
applied it about 5 years ago. I have 10K square feet of grass in our
yard and an equal amount of natural area, so for me using the original
(i.e., non-spreadable) product was the way to go.

I didn't buy their stick applicator. Instead, I used a piece of PVC
pipe about 1" inside diameter and maybe 3 1/2' long. I taped an old
funnel to the top and used a spoon to drop an appropriate amount down
the tube. This let me keep the milky spore fairly well concentrated
in a small area, which I understand helps it to get established.

If you're using the spreadable Milky Spore and you only want it in
your lawn, I believe you'll have much better luck with a drop spreader
versus a rotary one. Unlike dropping fertilizer, if you overlap or
miss a small area when applying the Milky Spore it won't be a big
deal.

As for the best price, I shopped around and found that Southern States
had the best deals, at least back then. Not sure today.

I don't remember the company which makes the product (something like
St. Joseph's labs, located in VA if I remember correctly) but I called
them and they were very helpful and willing to answer all of my
questions. They said that Milky Spore is very durable and the spores
will survive even the grub killers that were still legal back then!
Contact them and ask them about the Merit, but you should be able to
apply it soon, and then the Milky Spore whenever's the best
application time

Good luck!
Brian

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Roxjohn

I bought mine at Lowe's and I haven't seen any cheaper though it's not a
cheap product. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup and just walked up and
down through the yard spreading it out. It's supposed to continue
spreading over the years so you don't want to cover every inch.

Rox

Bob wrote:
"Charles Balan" wrote in message
t...