Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 AM
mbarbet

Default Pond plants that tolerate shade (was Pond snails)

Speaking of pond plants, does anyone know if there are any pond plants that
will do well in deep wood? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
jr lack wrote:
I have a lot of pond snails grown up. I'd like to trade some of them

for
some water plants/creatures if interested. Can sell some of them as

well.

I have no need for snails as I have quite a few in my garden pond
already. However I can offer some pond plants. It's that time of year
when they're going wild. I have miniature water hyacinths that I can
spare a few of and I can also offer some clippings of parrot's feather;
*maybe* some watercress or floating hearts. Reason I'm not sure of the
latter two is because I just thinned the watercress last weekend (gave a
bout 3/4 of what I had to my in-laws for their pond) and I haven't
really looked at the structure of the floating hearts since I put it in
the pond two months ago.

Anyone want any toad tadpoles? *grin* We've got a *bunch* in various
stage of development. I took pictures yesterday of the little toadlets
that have matured and left the pond (about the size of my fingernail on
my smallest finger) but haven't had a chance to post them to my webshots
site yet. The little buggers are hopping around the yard and we're
trying hard not to step on them. They're so cute!!!

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 28-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

[quote=mbarbet]Speaking of pond plants, does anyone know if there are any pond plants that
will do well in deep wood? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

There are quite a few shade tolerant, shade loving plants suitable for ponds and water gardens, you may want to think twice about spatterdocks as they tend to be very large sprawly plants six feet wide

There are a couple of small forms of spatterdock (very nice plants) Cape Fear Spatterdock, and Nuphar Pumilla Minima. I juuuust might be listing Nuphar Pumilla Minima on e-bay one of the days however it's a bit 'hit or miss' listing gems like that on ebay, bidding can be disappointing there... they tend to go well outside of e-bay...

Aquatic shade tolerant plants:
(prefer saturated soil conditions, water over their roots)...

Alisma, Acorus calamus, acorus calamus variegatus, arrow arum, arrowhead, Azolla, Bladderwort, Bog Arum- calla palustris, Cotton grass, Cyperus longus, Eleocharis (spike rush), equesetum hyemale, frogbit, Golden club, Hornwort, Horsetail, Iris (shade may reduce their ability to flower some) Carex sedges, Lizards tail, Mares tail, Marsh marigold, Marsh pennywort, Marsilea, Nuphar pumilla minima, Parrots feather, Pennywort, Nymphiodes aquatica, Phalaris, Scirpus zebrinus, Typha (not the nasty latifolia, way too invasive) Water hawthorn, Water Lettuce, Water mint ....theres GAZILLIONS of shade loving aquatic and bog plants

Bog plants:
(Prefer moist but not saturated soil conditions)

Acer, Aconitum, Alchemila, Alliums, Arum lilies, Aruncus, Arundinaria, Astilbe, Azalea, Berberis, Bergenia, Brunnera, Carex pendula, Chamaecyparis, Cimicifuga, Cinnamon fern, creeping jenny, Ferns (Many), Convallaria, Corylus, Cotton grass, Cornus, Cotula, Cyclamen, Danae, Dicentra, Epimedium, Euonymus, Filipendula, Fritillaria, Galium, Gentiana, Gunnera, Helleborus, Hemerocallis, Hemp agrimony, Hepatica, Heucherella, Hosta, Hydrangea, Ligularia, Liriope, Lisichiton, Lilium, Lonicera, Lupinus, Lychnis, Lythrum, Meconopsis, Mimulus, Miscanthus, Peltiphylum (Darmera) Phyllostachys, Polygonum, Primula, Ranunculus, Rhamnus, Rheum, Rhododendron, Rodgersia, Royal Fern, Rubus, Sasa veitchii, Saxifraga, Senecio, Sinarundinaria, Sium suave, Skullcap, Tellima, Viola, Weigela

half hardy (need wintering frost free)

Cyperus Alternifolia, Crinum Americanum, Gymnocoronum spilanthoides, Cyperus papyrus, Arum lilies (callas) Marselia, Taro, Salvinia, Umbrella grass

I list some full aquatics as well as bog plants. There's enough plants mentioned above to cram many a pool, bog, water margin... arrow arum alone likes to make an exotic foliage plant 3 foot high, and 3ft wide when it has conditions it likes... Many of them are 'specimen plants' ...in effect they are gobsmackers.

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Old 27-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered User

The following plants do well in the deep pond here I am writing below for some names.
* Helleborus
* Arum lilies
* Gentiana
* Carex pendula