Old 25-04-2007, 09:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Question for the travelers and bush walkers

How, pray tell, can you identify so many relatively obscure species? Do you
take with you some type of reference? I find your knowledge incredible.

Diana, with thanks to all who post these wonderful plants.

Old 25-04-2007, 09:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana,

Two things: Books, Experts.

I've spent the last month IDing orchids from books!

I took the A to Z of SE Asian Orchid species with me - that got me
several IDs. I bought Orchids of Borneo Vol 4 in Kinabalu - that got me
several more IDs, and then when I returned home I consulted Volumes 1
through 3 of Orchids of Borneo, getting yet more IDs. I also bought The
Genus Coelogyne: A Synopsis in Kota Kinabalu, and The Orchids of
Sarawak. Both helped with yet more IDs.

Finally, I've had stellar help from many experts. Jim Cootes, Peter
O'Byrne, Ng Tensung, Elisabeth George, Timothy Choltco, and I am sure I
missed a few people, have all provided IDs from my unidentified photos.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 25-04-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the response, Eric. I get it. When you are taking the photos,
many are noids for you until you research them. Makes perfect sense. And, it
does make me feel a tad better! I'd hate to think there exist walking, photo
taking encyclopaedias!

Diana

Old 26-04-2007, 12:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana,

Oh, those people do exist. Eric Christenson is one, Ron Parsons is
another. Peter O'Byrne and Jim Cootes are probably like that - but I've
only communicated with them by email, not in person. It's really
remarkable - I was never able to even remotely stump Eric Christenson in
Peru - no matter what orchid I asked about.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 26-04-2007, 09:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Lecanorchis multiflora

Having spent over 2 weeks trekking with Eric through one of the wettest,
orchid rich areas in the world, I was amazed by his botanical knowledge, not
only of orchid genera but a plethora of other plants, flowering or
otherwise. He was hardly ever stumped in IDing the genus - species was far
more difficult. One soon realises that orchids in the jungle/bush don't
come with labels so you just photograph from everywhich angle (that you can
get at) and hope that someone has taken a similar photo and published it or
one of the experts Eric has named can help.

Here is one that Eric didn't see as he decided to take a day off and start
sorting the many thousands of photos he had taken. This one was described
in the Orchids of Borneo series but being saprophytic it didn't rate a photo
so making IDing much more difficult. It is also a saprophytic species which
Peter O'Byrne helped ID. This one was found growing in really dense shade
in a valley below a limestone ridge where Paph sanderianum was growing
profusely but none in flower (drats).

Eric keep posting. I am enjoying reliving the experience.

John

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Thanks for the response, Eric. I get it. When you are taking the photos,
many are noids for you until you research them. Makes perfect sense. And,
it
does make me feel a tad better! I'd hate to think there exist walking,
photo
taking encyclopaedias!

Attached Thumbnails
Question for the travelers and bush walkers-lecanorchis-multiflora-2-2007-03-16-gunung-mulu-national-park-long-langsat.jpg   Question for the travelers and bush walkers-lecanorchis-multiflora-1-2007-03-16-gunung-mulu-national-park-long-langsat.jpg

Rate This Thread: