GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   black spots on orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/173024-black-spots-orchids.html)

BruceM 15-04-2008 01:58 AM

black spots on orchids

1 Attachment(s)
Posted for Rec.gardens .orchids Extremely small black dotson several
dendrobiums. They look like the osrchid was dusted with a fine black dust.
They are rounded (reminds me of a candy sprinkle) adn very small. IN one of
the pictures you can see the end of my first finger for comparison.

When I snapped the pictures, they did reflect the flash. That made them
look almost gunmetal in color.

What could this be? Spore pods?

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

BruceM 15-04-2008 01:59 AM

black spots on orchids

1 Attachment(s)

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

BruceM 15-04-2008 01:59 AM

black spots on orchids

1 Attachment(s)

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

BruceM 15-04-2008 01:59 AM

black spots on orchids

1 Attachment(s)

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

BruceM 15-04-2008 01:59 AM

black spots on orchids

1 Attachment(s)

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 15-04-2008 02:35 AM

black spots on orchids

You say you were able to wipe some of these off? What I see is indents. Are
the spots soft? This looks, at first glance, like bacterial spot. Wait for
someone else to weigh in.

Are the leaves as mottled as they appear in the pictures?

Diana

"BruceM" wrote in message

Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx
South Dallas County

Ray B 15-04-2008 01:49 PM

black spots on orchids

The tiny, spherical ones look like oxalis seeds.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
You say you were able to wipe some of these off? What I see is indents.
Are the spots soft? This looks, at first glance, like bacterial spot. Wait
for someone else to weigh in.

Are the leaves as mottled as they appear in the pictures?

Diana

"BruceM" wrote in message

Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx
South Dallas County

K Barrett 15-04-2008 04:18 PM

black spots on orchids

Are these leaves dead? In the pictures they look horrible. Have you got a
picture of the whole plant?

My guess is dried up sap, darkened from age/sunlight/driness that has seeped
from holes left after a sucking insect bite holes. Possibly mites. Think
itty bitty creme brulee sugar...

K Barrett

BruceM 16-04-2008 02:50 AM

black spots on orchids

On this plant, yes they are dying. Have been for awhile. I only see this on
a couple of Dens.

Tomorrow I wiull try to get them under a microscope

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx

BruceM 16-04-2008 02:54 AM

black spots on orchids

I do have Oxails (Yellow wood Sorrell) aplenty here in centreal texas.

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx
"Ray B" wrote in message
The tiny, spherical ones look like oxalis seeds.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
You say you were able to wipe some of these off? What I see is indents.
Are the spots soft? This looks, at first glance, like bacterial spot.
Wait for someone else to weigh in.

Are the leaves as mottled as they appear in the pictures?

Diana

"BruceM" wrote in message

Bruce
Cedar Hill Tx