Old 30-07-2009, 10:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default OT, sort of - Eternal-September

OT, sort of - Eternal-SeptemberViateur does a lot of posting of synopses from various publications along with links to the full article. Many are interesting. But I'm pretty Viateur is not the administrator of OrchidGuide Digest unless it's a nom de plume. The administrator is Kenneth Bruyninckx, the owner of Akerne orchids in Belgium. Ray's comment is self evident from this. Kenneth ran the newsgroup which I think had the same name before switching to freelists.
Gary
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message ...
Anything I can do, I will, Ray. BTW, I have tried twice to sign on to Orchids Digest (at Freelists). I get the postings every day in my inbox but can't seem to join that list. I got as far as a notice that said I'd receive an email to use for verification, but I never did get one.

I think the mod's name is spelled Viateur.....Signs everything VB.

Diana
"Wendy7" wrote in message ...
I must have missed it too !!! But I'm in on this Ray, sounds like it would work. If you need help with the
moderating just yell.
Cheers Wendy
"Ray B" wrote in message news:000001ca10b6$0e094020$0201a8c0@fro...
I will repeat a proposal I made some time ago, but which gained no response: anyone up for a binaries newsletter?

The Orchids Digest is now run By Kenneth B (I'm not going to even attempt to spell is name before coffee) for free using freelists.org. Looking at the freelists info, it appears that it is possible to have a list with attached images. Seems to me that it would provide us a way to share photos at no cost to anyone; maybe a little time as a moderator to kill abuser's participation, and I'm willing to give that a try.

Basically, you just send an email with photo attached to the list address (I have applied for " - not active yet; should be within 24 hours if approved) , and the server distributes it to all members. Reply, and that goes to all, as well.

It is possible to have all of the day's messages sent as a single "digest", but with the images, that's probably not a good idea, as it could be huge!

What the heck, let's give it a try and see how it goes. I can always close it down again. I'll cross-post info if it's approved.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com

Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books, Artwork

Free Services & Lots of Info!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:44:49 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
All:

May I ask, who here is using eternal-september.org? And if you are, can you
see all of the original posts? I am getting threads, but no OPs other than
the one KB posted, and she was using eternal-september. I also was able to
read my own.

I remember that when some went to Motzarella that they had this same issue.
How did you handle it?

Diana,
I would suggest you handle it by asking in one of the eternal-september
support groups instead of here.
This would mean having a for pay news service and being able to cite
actual message-IDs and size of the messages, or else bothering to look
at the "Path:" header on the postings.

The eternal-september servers are primarily for text oriented newsgroups.
There is some difficulty in finding an NNTP peer for a select group of
small legal use binaries newsgroups.
In addition eternal-september servers enforce size limits on postings.
If you have a problem with that, use one of the pay services.

Due to current crackdowns on pay USENET servers that advertise easy
access to unauthorized copies of copyrighted material, I would not
expect those to last much longer.

To be blunt, posting binaries to USENET is a waste of resources.
Every binary posted is expanded by atleast 1/3 for transmission.
Every binary you post is sent to all USENET servers receiving that binaries
newsgroup and stored on disk. While there are not as many USENET servers
as there were 2 years ago, there are still more USENET servers that there
are people reading alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

As I suggested last year "Pick an image sharing website with
terms you can accept, post your pictures there, post an article
with URLs to the pictures (Not to all the HTML crap framing the picture)
and a description of why we'd want to click on them."

This is win, win. Only people that want to see the pictures will
retrieve them off the net. Folks that follow RGO but are still on
dialup can retrieve the pictures in under 3/4 the time if the
description catches their fancy.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:20:06 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:

OT, sort of - Eternal-SeptemberAnything I can do, I will, Ray. BTW, =
I have tried twice to sign on to Orchids Digest (at Freelists). I get =
the postings every day in my inbox but can't seem to join that list. I =
got as far as a notice that said I'd receive an email to use for =
verification, but I never did get one.

Are you using any subsidiary of AT&T as your email provider?
They have some incredibly stupid policies on blocking email.
Are you using your ISP for an email provider? Odds are that their
email admin is unfit to work in a mail room.

A request to subscribe sent through
http://www.freelists.org/list/orchids

resulted in an immediate attempt to email my mail server.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I'm pretty sure that Viateur is just a poster of web published orchid
stories. I always guess that he has a saved search on Google News and
every time a new story has the word orchid in it, he gets a notice from
Google and puts it on Orchids@Freelists.
The annoying part is that he puts EVERYTHING on there. If 8 different
publications do yet another story about that Ghost Orchid in the
Corkscrew swamp, he posts them all.
I save a lot of time reading that list by skipping over everything with
his name on it.

Steve
PS Just signed up for the new list that Ray started.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Steve wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Viateur is just a poster of web published orchid
stories. I always guess that he has a saved search on Google News and
every time a new story has the word orchid in it, he gets a notice from
Google and puts it on Orchids@Freelists.
The annoying part is that he puts EVERYTHING on there. If 8 different
publications do yet another story about that Ghost Orchid in the
Corkscrew swamp, he posts them all.
I save a lot of time reading that list by skipping over everything with
his name on it.

Steve

I'm glad I'm not the only one who skips everything from him.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've noticed that about Viateur. I get Google alerts too, so I've usually
seen what he links to. Steve, glad you're on board with the new list. It's
working well, IMO.

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Viateur is just a poster of web published orchid
stories. I always guess that he has a saved search on Google News and
every time a new story has the word orchid in it, he gets a notice from
Google and puts it on Orchids@Freelists.
The annoying part is that he puts EVERYTHING on there. If 8 different
publications do yet another story about that Ghost Orchid in the
Corkscrew swamp, he posts them all.
I save a lot of time reading that list by skipping over everything with
his name on it.

Steve

I'm glad I'm not the only one who skips everything from him.

Rate This Thread: