Old 20-04-2010, 06:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default NO MORE NEWS GROUP ACCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we finally received a message from Cox & they are closing down the free
access to newsgroups!

A lot of our original members have joined up on a Email List set up by Ray
Barkelow, so see below.

Hope to see you all there.

Cheers Wendy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ray's info:-

Lately I have received notice of quite a few posts being automatically
rejected by the Freelists server, as the sender was not subscribed to the
list. In most of the cases, it appears that the sender is subscribed, but
not with the email address from which the message was sent. If you have
multiple email addresses, please be sure to send only from the one you used
to subscribe, or subscribe with the others, as well.

Managing your account:

You may change your status (subscription, digest, vacation) three ways:

1. Visit the First Rays Free Services page, select the appropriate link
and use the Freelists form.

2. Visit this list’s web page -
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/orchidphotos - and do the same.

3. Send an email to with one of the
following commands in the subject line (hint - save this email, and each of
the following is a link to do so):

a. Subscribe

b. Unsubscribe

c. Set Digest

d. Unset Digest

e. Set Vacation

f. Unset Vacation

g. Help

Message Archives:

All messages are archived at
http://www.freelists.org/archive/orchidphotos,
but you will need the password “orchidarchives” to get into the page. A
link for that is also provided at the websites (above) where you can manage
your subscription.

To view images attached to archived messages, click on the attachment file
name. You will need the user name “orchidphotos” and the password
“orchidarchives” to view them. (I don’t know why it’s that protected…)

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com

Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books

Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

Old 20-04-2010, 09:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:54:24 -0700 in Wendy7 wrote:
Well we finally received a message from Cox & they are closing down the free
access to newsgroups!

A lot of our original members have joined up on a Email List set up by Ray
Barkelow, so see below.

Hope to see you all there.

You know, eternal-september.org provides NNTP access for free.

--
Chris Dukes

Old 26-04-2010, 07:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:04:19 -0700 in Wendy7 wrote:
As I understand Chris, not for binaries though?
Cheers Wendy

Wendy,
You are correct that eternal september effectively does not carry binaries.
However, it's irrelevant and has been irrelevant since 2004.

I've been saying this for a couple years now and I'm still trying
to figure out why you have difficulty comprehending it.
If you want to post a handful of pictures get an account on flickr,
or picasaweb or deviantart or... Upload the picture there, paste
the URL AND A DESCRIPTION on discussion forum (Be it mailing list,
blog, USENET, social networking).
It works with mailing lists. It works with USENET. It works with
google groups. It works with twitter. It works with facebook.
It works with myspace...

If you don't like the terms and conditions of the sites I listed,
look through
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aring_websites

And if you read through the terms and conditions, don't like them,
and think that posting a picture to USENET or a mailing list
has terms and conditions that are any better, you are deluding
yourself (The terms are someone that stumbles across it will
use the image without your permission for commercial gain and unless
it's sitting on a web server you manage and they're using your
bandwidth to display it without permission there is precious
little you can do to stop it).

I may be a neanderthal that refuses to use facespace, or mybook,
but I've also known for 12+ years that putting pictures on the web
and putting a URL to the picture in a discussion is the better way to do
things.

Old 27-04-2010, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Chris, Yes I know you have made comments here over the years & I understand
but
I like the Binaries NewsGroup format set up on my computer like emails with
threads.
It's archaic I know, but I don't like change.
Anyway many thanks for all your help.
Cheers Wendy

wrote in message

You know, eternal-september.org provides NNTP access for free.

--
Chris Dukes

--
Chris Dukes

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Well there's good news and bad news.... Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 32 26-06-2004 12:48 PM
Good news/bad news Mike Patterson Ponds 2 19-05-2004 09:09 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 07:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 03:32 AM