Pleurothallis rainforest orchid

Old 18-12-2011, 02:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Eve

Default Pleurothallis rainforest orchid

The habitat of this pleurothallis is in the rainforests of Costa Rica.

I had to wait for the bloom 2 years but now it flowers :-)

Eve
Attached Thumbnails
Pleurothallis rainforest orchid-dsc_8385_pleurothallis_spec.jpg  Pleurothallis rainforest orchid-dsc_8390_pleurothallis_spec1.jpg
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Location: California

Originally Posted by Eve View Post
The habitat of this pleurothallis is in the rainforests of Costa Rica.

I had to wait for the bloom 2 years but now it flowers :-)

Eve
The Pleurothallis orchids are one of the largest genera in the orchid family. Most pleurothallids really like high humidity; 70% should be considered a minimum. It's easiest to provide this humidity in an orchidarium, and the plants are generally small enough that you can put quite a large collection in there. Though there is a great deal of diversity in this genus, most like cool temperatures that stay below 70F (21C). If temperatures get too hot, they will quickly dry out, shrivel, and die; possibly in a matter of hours. The higher the light, the cooler the temperatures need to be, and vice versa.

Most species like low-to-intermediate lighting; 700-1500 footcandles is reasonable. Most pleurothallids hate to dry out. Water as they approach dryness if you are able to provide plenty of humidity; keep them moist more consistently if the humidity is low. Good potting mixes for these orchids include fine-grade fir bark or sphagnum moss, usually in small plastic pots. You can also grow them mounted on twigs or slabs of bark, preferably with sphagnum moss around the roots.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 26-05-2012, 07:30 PM

That is very beautiful. I like its color.
Old 23-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Location: California

Originally Posted by ceekeigh View Post
That is very beautiful. I like its color.

You are right ceekeigh, that is a very beautiful eye catching flower and has an awesome color.
Fruit Trees
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 PM

Beautiful, what kind of camera did you shoot this with?

Rate This Thread: