Old 21-03-2003, 02:08 PM
news

Default Care for an Orchid?

Hi. I have just recently started collecting Orchids. Although I find them
highly fascinating, intriguing and exotic, I also find them high
maintanence!

I have one orchid that I want to bring back to life. I purchased it recently
on sale (half off) at Home Depot. It had no flowers on it, just the narrow
leaves and stem.

I have had it for two months now, have watered it and have taken care of it,
but it still does not seem to "bud and bloom"...I would like to bring this
Orchid back to life...

What can I do to move up the blooming process? In addition, do Orchids only
bloom at certain times of the year?

Please advise.

Lisa Canfield

Old 21-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Wendy

Hi Lisa & welcome, just noticed that you got no replies so here goes,

"news" wrote in message
. ..
Hi. I have just recently started collecting Orchids. Although I find them
highly fascinating, intriguing and exotic, I also find them high
maintanence!

They don't have to be! Just don't over water them. (the biggest
killer!!)

I have one orchid that I want to bring back to life. I purchased it

recently
on sale (half off) at Home Depot. It had no flowers on it, just the narrow
leaves and stem.

We need to know more, a picture posted to:-
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
would be good or a URL for a webpage.

I have had it for two months now, have watered it and have taken care of

it,
but it still does not seem to "bud and bloom"...I would like to bring this
Orchid back to life...

One needs lots of patience as they are slow growers!
What can I do to move up the blooming process? In addition, do Orchids

only
bloom at certain times of the year?

There is special fertilizer for this?
Please advise.

Picture an orchid up in a tree......they get shaded sunlight, lots of
fresh air,
rain & humidity & very little fertilizer.
Hope this helps, Cheers Wendy
Lisa Canfield

Old 21-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Diane Mancino

most likely it was shipped to Home Depot in bloom, so you will care for it
till it blooms again next year- don't be discouraged, hopefully you will be
rewarded with a very long lasting bloom. Learn what type you have, so you
don't kill it with kindness

"Wendy" wrote in message
Hi Lisa & welcome, just noticed that you got no replies so here

goes,

. ..

Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Karen

"Wendy" wrote in message

Hi Lisa & welcome, just noticed that you got no replies so here

goes,

"news" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Lisa, you need to tell us what kind of orchid you bought, that would
help. There are so many different types of orchids.

Also, get yourself the book All About Orchids by Ortho. It is a good
beginner book about orchid care. It is one of the first books that I
bought for myself.

The worst thing you can do is over water it. Hang around here, buy a few
more orchids for yourself and have fun!
Karen

Old 21-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Lisa,

First, look in the pot for a tag of some sort. That may tell you what
genera you have purchased. If not stuck in the pot, look at the pot itself
for a sticker (bar code type) that might tell you. You may see something
like Phalaenopsis, Dendrobium, Oncidium, or some other name, possibly
abbreviated.

Failing that, describe to us the way the plant looks. Does it have tall
canes? Does it seem to grow dark green leaves from the center of the plant?
Are the leaves substantial, or are they more grassy-textured?

More info, and everyone here is glad to help. Meanwhile, water once a week
and talk to it!

Diana

Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Fred Garvin

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:48:23 -0500, news wrote:

Hi. I have just recently started collecting Orchids. Although I find them
highly fascinating, intriguing and exotic, I also find them high
maintanence!

I have one orchid that I want to bring back to life. I purchased it
recently on sale (half off) at Home Depot. It had no flowers on it, just
the narrow leaves and stem.

I have had it for two months now, have watered it and have taken care of
it, but it still does not seem to "bud and bloom"...I would like to bring
this Orchid back to life...

What can I do to move up the blooming process? In addition, do Orchids
only bloom at certain times of the year?

Please advise.

Lisa Canfield

Sounds like a Phal to me. Water when almost dry, medium light, no sun.
Fertilize with a half strength solution of Orchid food every other
watering. It *MAY* push new flower buds on that stem or it may not.
If the stem turns brown cut it off about an inch above it's bsae.
Do NOT get water in the little bowl between the leaves of you'll get
crown rot. If you cut the stem just above the 2nd node point on the top of
the stem it *MAY* push a new branch and bud.

Welcome to the world of orchids!
Old 23-03-2003, 05:56 AM
news

Thank you for all of those who replied to my question. I appreciate all of
the advise. Again thanks, and wish me luck!

Orchid Lover,
Lisa Canfield