Old 15-04-2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default determining flower pot size

I am trying to determine what size pots some of my orchids are in. Yes, I
know, I should know the answer to this already, but I am confused:

How does one measure a flower pot to determine its size? In a round pot that
is narrower at the bottom than at the top does one measure the upper rim's
diagonal or the bottom diagonal? What about in a square pot does one measure
the length of the side or the diagonal -- and again is it the top or the
bottom of the pot that counts?

Thanks!

Joanna

Old 15-04-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

For most of them, hold them up and look carefully at the bottom. There is
usually a pot size number molded right into the plastic with raised letters
that gives the size. This number usually matches a diameter measurement
taken across the top of the rim. FWIW, if you come into my greenhouse I can
show you at least three pots that are stamped (6" Azalea) on the bottom and
they will all have slightly different physical measurement. This is true of
most pots. For plastic pots as with government regulations; there is no
legal governing authority.

Old 15-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

for a square pot, it is the width you are measuring which is from side to
side across the top. This is not the diagonal which would be from one
corner across the middle to far corner.

Old 15-04-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

This actually became a legal issue within the potted-plant industry, so some
standards were put in place to keep everyone on the up-and-up:

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/pdf/...5_overview.pdf