Old 21-04-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Brazilian Orchids

This site; http://mirandaorchids.com/brazilianorchidsVGA.htm allows
one to see the local habitat of various Brazilian Orchids. I live on
the Gulf Coast at about 29 degrees Lattitude so this information helps
me select plants from similiar areas in Brazil. Novo Hamburgo is at 29
degrees Lat. but at higher altitude, I have an Onc. from there.
Further, the site gives photos and descriptions of plants in the wild.
Hopefully I will learn to select and pot in a way for best results. In
most cases, the plants I want grow on bare rock outcroppings or sandy
soil, or open woodlands. Seems that orchids try to find places not good
for competing plants. They live in places with little soil and long dry
spells, AND TOTAL DIRECT SUN, but the writer suggests that grasses
moderate the sun somewhat. The more I read the more S/H seems to fit
the bill for potting. I will at some point get an appropriate rock and
affix a plant to it, I wonder how well an orchid will tolerate glue?
Epoxy may be better since it doesn't have a solvent and is waterproof.
Note that many orchids live near or on the seashore. Interesting.
Well, pardon my rambling.
Joe T Houston

Old 22-04-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 21 Apr 2006 08:40:25 -0700, "jtill" wrote:

[...]

Most of us that mount do so by temporarily tying the orchid to a
surface, rock, bark, cedar shingle, pot outer edge. Why would you
play with glue when you can wire or tie it in place until it grows
attachment roots?
SuE
Old 22-04-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Don't have time for a long answer right now, but two safe choices for
fixative are Liquid Nails and Elmer's Glue. Neither is toxic to orchids.
Like Sue, I generally tie 'em on, but sometimes you might want an extra
anchor.

HTH

Diana

Old 22-04-2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Well, tying them on is probably best, Just had glue on the brain.
Joe T